Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Can I do MA Psychology being a B.Com student?

Date: 01 Mar 2016   Posted By: rachna bhati     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I am about to complete my B.Com final year and wanted to do MA in Psychology at PG level. But due to commerce background I am not able to find any University which is open for all stream students for this course. Can you tell me what can I do now because I want to have my career in Psychology field?
Awaiting advice from experts.

Interested in studying MA Psychology? Wondering if a Commerce graduate can take up Psychology? Find responses from experts here.

Author: Mahesh    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Psychology degree is open for all the streams. There is no specific requirement. But that depends on the university you check into. Some universities have some specific requirement and percentage too. Also some of the universities have the entrance tests too.

I suggest you to check with the distance education university under which you wish to do this. And you can get the idea for the degree. For example Udacity and coursera has the curriculum online where you can get the degree from online method. These sites open for the small degree course on regular basis. You have to check them when they have such session.

Some of the universities accept MA psychology degree and have less requirements:

1. University Of Mumbai
2. Indira Gandhi National Open University
3. Uttaranchal Open University
4. Andhra University
5. Barkatullah University

Author: Kailash Kumar    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

For completing MA in psychology program offered by School of Social Sciences of IGNOU, the eligibility criteria is bachelor's degree from a recognised university. There is no age bar for admission and minimum/maximum duration of course is 2 years and 5 years respectively.
Regarding on campus programs, the author may carry out a detailed research on his own by visiting websites of universities offering MA in psychology program. The possibility of getting admission in MA psychology program without having studied psychology at graduation level cannot be ruled out entirely.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are persuing commerce stream and would like to continue Psycology at Post - graduate level, you can definitely make headway in Indira Gandhi National Open University for acquiring the same. There are certain universities, which do not demand Psycology as a main subject in the graduation level. You can search such existing facilities through Internet.
However, by persuing the course through IGNOU, you can have quality education in both the areas theoretical and practical under the guidance of competent professors. The course has been designed to render high quality knowledge in Clinical, Industrial, Behavioural, Criminal and other related aspects in Psycology and as such you can have a quality education at an affordable fee - structure.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Psychology degree is given as M.Sc. in some Universities and as M.A in some other Universities. Needless to mention that M.Sc (Psychology) has more practical-oriented approach. As a student of Commerce, you can't take admission in M.Sc(Psychology). However, you can definitely go for M.A(Psychology). As far as I know, M.A (Psychology) is available at IGNOU and at Annamalai University, and Psychology in Graduation is not an essential requirement in these two Universities.