Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Switching job from Android to JAVA developer

Date: 05 Mar 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

I have a query about my career: I have 2 years experience in Android but I want to switch my job to JAVA developer. Can I do so with this experience?

Want to switch your job from being an Android developer to a JAVA one? Know about the possibilities of doing so from the expert responses below.

Author: Mahesh    07 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Android Platform has a lot of future ahead. So you should reconsider your option to get into Java development. However there is no issue if you wish to switch to the Java enterprise or the core development.

You need some core java and enterprise java experience in order for you to get job offers. You already have some experience with the core java as you are developing into the Android platform.

Android experience is definitely counted towards your JAVA experience. And you can even explain how in the interview itself. You just have to be more confident and work on those small things.

You only need some experience with the enterprise JAVA. In such case you can show some formal training experience. And this way you can build up on resume and apply to MNCs or small companies. This should get you some level of experience. After 1 or 2 years of enterprise JAVA experience you can apply for better salary jobs in MNCs.

Author: Karthikeyan    07 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Do you really want to switch from android to java developer? There are lot of job opportunities available for android developers. The pay scale also high for an android developer compared to his java counterpart. As Mahesh said, I also suggest you to reconsider your opinion for your bright future.

If you still want to switch to java platform then it would be very easy for you. Both android and java are interrelated to each other. Your experience android will be considered as a positive one during interview. All you need to do is show your willingness to work in Java during interviews.

Author: sai vandana    09 Mar 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

You can't compare Java and Android. Java is used for many things including server side applications. Android is a mobile technology. Which needs to talk to a server something using a non-Android language.

In the long run I believe Java is going to outlive the EE APIs and will move towards lightweight web frameworks without the overhead of the Servlets API. At present Spring MVC uses the Servlet API but it could potentially move away towards it, given that Spring MVC with some custom objects representing HTTP but not based on the Java EE API. For example they have: spring-projects/spring-reactive

Other platforms don't use Java Platform, Enterprise Edition at all. Amazon Web Services can now use Amazon Elastic Beanstalk to run JARs without Tomcat - Using the AWS Elastic Beanstalk Java SE Platform . AWS Lambda can run Java code connected to the Amazon API Gateway which is their own custom API