Ask Experts » Science and Technology » Technology »

How to identify unknown device attached to rear of Redmi Note 3 phone

Date: 07 Mar 2016   Posted By: Ank Arya     Group: Science and Technology    Category: Technology   

Recently, I was checking reviews of different gadgets and smartphones when I found a photo of Redmi Note 3 smartphone where there is a strange (to me) device in white attached on its rear.

Kindly help me knowing what is this unknown device. What is it used for? Is it some kind of OTG storage utility or something else?

The image can be found below,

xiaomi redmi-note-3-with-unknown-device-on-rear
Image Credits: Gadgets 360 (NDTV)

Confused about an unknown device attached to the rear of a Redmi Note 3 smartphone? Let experts help you identify what exactly it is.

Author: Juana    07 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 2

To me this looks like the locking system used in mobile stores to keep smartphones on display attached to the display counters. It keeps them from being stolen. Prospective customers can handle the phones on display, but cannot remove them beyond the display counter. An alarm goes off if there is an attempt to remove a phone from its stand.

This is a wild guess and I hope I am right about this.

Author: Mahesh    07 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 2

This is a store locking system device used in display phone showrooms. You can find such similar locking system in the shopping malls. Those shopping malls have a way to lock the phone with the docker.

Such dockers connect with the small device at the back of the phone. And using that you can easily lift the phone within limited range. And this way phone theft is stopped. Also the phone are kept in display using such dockers. So these dockers play role of two objectives here.

Considering the phones such as this are merely for the display, they don't show you the battery and other internals and lock the device from behind for docking purpose.