Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Should I change my career field?

Date: 10 Mar 2016   Posted By: mohit     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

I am currently doing engineering from local govt college in Computer Science branch. I had taken admission in college directly after 12th (got 80%). Since, my field is over-saturated and I am worried about job opportunities after graduation so, I am thinking of changing my branch to food technology (despite it will waste my 1 year but I can manage). Will it worth for my career ?

Are you doing engineering in Computer Science and want to shift to food technology? Want to know whether it is worth from career point of view? Get the best guidance here.

Author: Juana    11 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 7  (Rs 7)    Voting Score: 0

Consider the following facts before switching from Computer Science to Food Technology –

1. Is it something you want to do? If you have decided to switch your branch then it is better to choose a subject that you like. Don't just look at job opportunities, because jobs are available in all fields provided you meet the job profiles. You will be doing the same job for the next 30 years or more. Will you want to do it, is what you should decide.
2. Does you college have a placement cell? If it does then it will help you decide whether you should change your field yet or not. Check the data on the college website or go to the placement cell and enquire about percentage of year wise placements in your branch. Alternatively, ask the final year students how many of their seniors got placed in decent jobs.
3. Also know that these days the engineering degree is just like any other degree, but with a little extra status. Engineers from the best of colleges (I'm referring to IITs, NITs, BITS and others in their league) get placed in all types of companies. Very few get placed in actual core companies. Prospective employers prefer engineers over regular graduates because they have better analytical skills. So, your fear of not finding a job may be unfounded.

Food technology is a highly specialized course and you will be able to find employment in food manufacturing units across the country in both private and public sector. However, that will depend on the college you get your degree from, how well you do in the course and a lot of other factors.

1. If you still think CS is a bad choice make yourself employable by adding to your qualification. Enrol in short CS related certificate related courses that will help you enhance your skills.
2. Internships are very important, not only do they make your CV look good they can also help you land a job. Aim to do internships between semesters – if you do well during that period a company might also offer you a job.

Author: Mahesh    11 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Almost every domain is over saturated these days. I am sure you know that IT is over saturated now. Soon electrical and electronics will be given less jobs. And in future even the mechanical will lose the market demand. You have to ignore such future predictions and focus on the job vacancies in the newspaper. That's where you find the job demand.

Now coming back to your next question. You should think a lot before you switch the degree. You should talk to lot of people before moving to another degree. Talk to the people who are working etc. That way you can have more data on the change of jobs etc. This way you avoid any bad decision you take over a period of time. I think this is what I have found for most of the students in similar situations.

I suggest you to meet career counselor in your college or university. You can get the idea of which stream to pick and how to switch. The reason I suggest you to go to career counselor is that you get better options locally.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    12 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Since you see that the market is flooded with Engineers in each branch and there appears to be over saturation almost in all the fields in all streams but such perception is not correct. The major soft - ware companies like TCS, Infosys, Wipro etc are always on the look out for brilliant young Engineers passing out from IIT, NIT, BIT or from premier institutions so that these IT companies may get quality out - put from the young Engineers. The best recourse would be to come out from such negative emotions and a major thrust would be required to strengthen your skill so that you can meet the expectation of your employer. In fact, the IT companies conduct interviews in several rounds to assess the inherent potential of the aspirants. So, you need to revise the entire course and clarity in your perception is required.
Food - technology is a specialised branch of technology and in this area also, you have to face a lot of competitions from the other competent candidates. Moreover, you cannot be sure of your positive achievement even though you have a passion for it. Apart from it, you have to loose one year precious time as a result of reshuffling of the streams.
Hence, considering the pros and cons, you must adhere to the branch which you are persuing at present.

Author: Madan Lal Mahato    13 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

You want to change your branch from computer science to food technology. And you are not able to choose a right career option. I think that you should choose those branch which is your passion. Don't afraid from your future. Because no one can know their future and job is available in every field. There are lots of job in CS branch in every year.
.