Ask Experts » Doctors » General Medicine »

What is the best application to eradicate lices in the head

Date: 12 Mar 2016   Posted By: Ramachandran Pattabiraman     Group: Doctors    Category: General Medicine   

My five year old daughter is suffering because of lice in her head. I am scared to apply any shampoo or oils as it may affect her health or eye. Probably she has got this from her school friends. Can any doctor tell me a good application for getting rid of lice?
Awaiting responses from experts.

Searching for solution to eradicating lice from hair? Here, on this page experts shall provide you with some natural and pharmaceutical remedies.

Author: Kailash Kumar    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Mediated shampoo, lotion or cream rinse to kill the lice are available in the market. It may be over the counter type or prescription medications. The other available option i.e. removing by hand or fine tooth combing may not work in all the cases. Nits are difficult to remove by hand picking method. It is better to go for medicated shampoo or lotions. Also it may be noted that lice are highly contagious and spreads quickly from one person to another. Therefore regular vigilance is required in case the child is school going. I think this issue should be brought to the notice of school authorities also so that all students can be checked for lice.

Author: Seema Shah    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

A common situation and even I have faced it in school. As far as I can remember in school, we used to have a camp once in two months. All children were told to bring a small/ fine toothed comb, and a white bedsheet. Then we had to line up and gradually comb the hair. For many of the children the lice and nits used to slip on to the bedsheet.
So here is my advice:
1. Comb you hair with a fine toothed small comb, available specially for lice on a white bedsheet. If you have lice, you will see them fall off from the hair and run helter skelter on the bedsheet. Kill them else they will trouble someone else. Note: they multiple fast.
2. Try some extremely sour and thin buttermilk in the hair. Leave it for about 5 mins and then wash it off.
3. Checkout Licel or similar medicine available in the pharmacy. The medical shop. Ask your daughter to close her eyes tightly and apply very little portion of this medicine.
Do not ignore the lice else your daughter may keep on scratching her scalp, some nits may spread widely while getting clogged in the nails and even the scalp may bleed.
Hope this helps.

Author: Adarsh kumar    23 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

I will tell you some easy methods to deal with this problem.

1) Use warm water or cold water to wash your daughter's hair as lice cannot withstand extreme temperatures. Use of warm water followed by cold water is most effective.

2) Go for a complete hair trim which is the best of all the possible methods.

3) Use honey mixed with aloevera before washing her hair.

4) Comb her hair frequently and keep it open.

5) Use coconut oil and anti dandruff shampoo.

6) Avoid sharing pillows and bedsheets of others.

7) Do not put too much of strain on her hair as it may damage hair follicles.

8) Use amla oil to kill lices.

9) Washing her hair with apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil is also helpful.

10) Wash her bedsheets and clothes regularly.

Apart from all these making some changes in her lifestyle could help her getting rid of lices.