Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

Which is the best way of study in the Exam Time, Group or Individual?

Date: 12 Mar 2016   Posted By: M.A. Vimala     Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

Now, this is the time for Examination for all students. Students are undergo study in their own way, some students study lonely or individually, Some other students study with their friends.

Which is the better way to study and get high marks in the examination?

Suggestion requested for the Same.

Author: Siddhi Satpathy    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Hey Vimala, I think for individual study during exams helps a lot. In other times, group studies can help, but during exams individual is better. But, you should clear your doubts from your friends and collegues. Best of luck!

Author: Juana    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Individual revision is the best method of studying while preparing for an examination. The reasons for this are summarized below –
1. In a group you are forced to study what everyone else is learning. When you study by yourself you can revise subjects, concepts, lessons etc that you know you are weak at or haven't understood. You can better utilize your time.
2. There are fewer distractions, because in a group there can be members who ask questions or are disinterested in studies and hence act as a disturbance.
3. You can start and stop when you want. While in a group you are dependent on others.
4. You can set your own pace and cover as much as you want.
5. You can also study the way you want to – whether it is solving old question papers, reading through notes or learning formula etc.

Check my response in the link below, to learn new learning techniques -

http://www.indiastudychannel.com/experts/40723-how-to-manage-school-studies-and-special-course-for-medical-at-the-same-time.aspx

Author: Seema Shah    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 0

A wonderful and very relevant question, indeed!
Let me answer this question based on my interaction with students in the past twenty seven years spent in the teaching profession. I would suggest a mix of both types and like this:
1. Individual studies, for at least one reading for what you find difficult and cannot remember or get confused
2. Group studies for topics which you know well and want to revise. So teaching or solving doubts of others is good. Group studies for clarifying your own doubts or getting another perspective to what you already know.

Now let me explain why both types are needed:
We cannot do everything on our own. Someone around us can help us to resolve queries, is sailing in the same boat, can be a motivator to keep you on track, someone around needs help. Continuous studies can often become boring or monotonous and you may soon lose your concentration and drift away from studies. Who will bring you on track? Only someone who is around sailing on the same boat!

It is essential to blend both types of studies judiciously depending on the studies completed so far, learning style, time management, confidence level, set goals etc.

This is based on my study methods used in standard X, XI, XII and four years of engineering. I have spent major part of the time either in library, or at home or on building terrace with friend/s for studies. We used to read and understand a particular topic individually in pre defined time and then we used to spend some 15-30 minutes in discussion and recapping the topic. This ritual was repeated for every topic.

A word of caution: The group members need to be aligned for setting study goals, how much time to study, what to study, where to study and when to study.

Continue the group as long as the group is cogenial, gathers momentum in studies and you are benefiting. Else, join some other group for studies.

I would not recommend only individual studies, since you may get lost, lose confidence, may forget to study some topic or have only a single perspective and go at your own pace.

Remember: TEAM is Together Each Achieves More

Author: Karthikeyan    14 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It is mainly depends on the student mentality, some students prefer individual studies while some other prefer group study. Both types has its own advantages and disadvantages.

1. As an individual, you have freedom to choose a topic based on your interest but as a group, you may read what others are reading.

2. Distraction - you will easily distracted in a group. Most of the group studies often end up chatting for a long period of time.

3. As an individual, student will easily get tired and bored by studies. It is not possible for someone to sit long time. Students will get support and motivation from their friends in a group study.

4. As a individual, student may not go through certain topics but in a group each one of them are strong in certain areas. It will be helpful for everyone if one person teaches to others.

5. New ideas and techniques easily will arise in a group during discussion.

My suggestion is group studies has more number of advantages but it solely depends on the group. Right group of students surely do their best during studies.

Author: Mahesh    15 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Each person has different way of doing things. I'd say you have to mix all these three.

I suggest start with learning and knowing things on your own. And this way you can memorize things at point and connect them in a memory.

After you study on your own then at the end go join some study group. And here you have a chance to validate your end of the learning. You can correct yourself this way. And most of the time you'd understand concepts much clearly. I suggest you to start from some simple basics and discuss the complexity.

Approaching group study directly won't benefit you at all. You have to know concepts before you can apply them. Also things such as managing the broken concepts would take some time. So study on your own first and then adjust as you go along.

You can study some critical concepts using the group. And this way each of you can break the concepts and then understand it even more. I'd say start with the individual learning and then extend for the group study.

Author: Richita Dutta    17 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

There is not a fixed way to study well and get good marks in exams. Every student have his or her own preferences. Some student may feel it comfortable to study alone or some may find group study as more beneficial.
I am also a student, and I always prefer to study alone in room, since I have a seperate room for myself. Also I need some music beside me in slow volume specially when doing any practical study, as it helps me to concentrate properly.
I avoid group study as I am a very talkative girl and so in group studies we study very little and end up with having a lots of gossips.

So it wholly depends on you to select which way to study. The more comfortable you are, the more will be the chance to get high marks.
Hope this will be helpfull for you.

Author: Monika Kushwaha    17 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 0

Hello,
What I feel is - it doesn't matter whether you are doing individual study or group study. What actually matters is - with how much concentration and with which sort of focus you are studying. Also, the matter which you are studying is being understood by you or not.

I think both the group as well as individual study has some benefits and some faults. Likewise in a group you can easily discuss and clear your doubts if you are having any while in individual study, if you can't understand anything you simply give a throat learning to it.
Similarly in an individual study you have no one to disturb you and thus you can give a continuous sitting for hours however it is not possible in group studies.
By this what I mean is that - don't ever think of better options and ways to study. Just sit and start studying wherever and whenever you get time . If you are looking for options you are trying to make an excuse and this should not be done specially during examinations time.

Few things which one can do while studying are :-
1) Eat an apple whenever you feel sleepy as it not only removes your sleepiness but also prevents fat deposition in your body.
2) Sit on a straight back chair instead of choosing a relaxing chair or bed to study. This will prevent you from sleeping.
3) Set a snoozing alarm for every 10 minutes. This could help you in bringing back your diverted mind from the fantasy land.
4) Keep your fan on a slow speed as extreme favourable and extreme unfavourable conditions can prohibit your studies.

These are a few ways one can adopt for a continuous studying during examination. Try these out and tell how useful these things prove out for you.