Ask Experts » Education » India Educational Consultants »

Name mismatch in degree results

Date: 14 Mar 2016   Posted By: priya     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I have completed my graduation in 2014 and now I have got my convocation certificate. My surname(last name) is different in all 3rd years mark-sheet and convocation certificates. Is it possible to correct the name?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Worried about name mismatch in degree marksheets? wondering what to do? On this experts shall provide you with effective solutions to resolve this issue.

Author: Satinder Kaur Uppal    15 Mar 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0


You need to approach the university/ college and ask them about the rules and regulation for rectifying the error in your mark-sheet and convocation certificates.

Other way is by making an affidavit stating the mistake in your Name. For that you have to go to your local notary and make an affidavit about your name change.

Thereafter you need to write an application to individual institutions/Board/University with the following documents:

1. Copy of Birth Certificate (attested)
2. Copy of HSC and other certificate of Degree (attested)
3. Affidavit


Author: Monika Kushwaha    15 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Dear you

Look, if your surname was different in all the three years of your graduation that means there may be some problem with your enrollment process. In this case you need to write an application with the subject related to your name modification to the university. All the university will demand from you is your birth certificate, your XII marksheet , your category certificate (sc , st, obc in case), your X marksheet which is very important as this is the first class when you were enrolled. If your name is same as you want in X marksheet , university will correct your name within a week you file an application but if its different in X marksheet you might will face much difficulties in this process.

Keep in mind never take so long time as you took three years here for things related to your documents and career.

Author: Kailash Kumar    18 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

In my opinion no lacunae should be left in the academic documents. It is better to know from the horses mouth. The author should personally visit the concerned office and meet the officials responsible for the work, note down the requirement as told by them and submit necessary documents then and there together with necessary fee if any. Also the matter should be followed up vigorously with the concerned office till the corrected document is finally obtained physically in hand. The procedure of submitting notarized affidavit etc. may work, but it is better to get the documents corrected so as to prevent any possible complication in future solely due to this reason.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.