Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

How to change my profession from marine industry

Date: 18 Mar 2016   Posted By: Yogeshwaran     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

Dear sir/ madam
I am yogeshwaran. I have completed my diploma in mechanical engineering on 2011 with over all 73% . Currently I am working in Dubai as a marine engine fitter. I also worked in Singapore for about 2.5 years as marine engine fitter. I like to change my profession from this marine industry. Please suggest me, whether my decision is right or wrong? I like to work in automobiles, refineries or any other technical jobs in government sector. What job I can do in my future? Please guide. Thanks for consideration.

Author: [Anonymous]    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I don't know why people want to change their career options once they have experience in their hands. In my opinion, instead of changing your career, try to put more efforts in the current field then you may get success easily because of your experience adds in that particular field. You are working in abroad, so you may get more pay compared to India. Even if you got job in the Govt. Sector, pays will be very less and getting job in Govt. Field is not an easy as we got the job in private sector. For this, you have to wait for the notification, written examination and final interview. For this, you have to prepare aptitude again because any competitive exam conducted in India almost written examination is based on this.

Author: Kailash Kumar    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Getting a Government job is subject to the fulfillment of the set criteria including age also. Primarily the author has to decide as it largely depends on his own personal circumstances and requirements. In case it is required to come back to his native place due to compelling circumstances then let it be so. However the author may save enough money to take care of his expenses for sufficient time before leaving the job. In case of skilled technician getting a job may not be very difficult. He may come back to india join any available job and then continue his efforts to find a job in Government sector while working.

Author: Adarsh kumar    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I can give you a positive signal on your decision to quit your current job and get a government job in India. The first job that comes to my mind based on your qualification and experience is joining the Indian Navy. They do take experienced marine technicians like you. If you are satisfied with a moderate income then join as a sailor or better crack the SSB and join as a commissioned officer with higher pay and infinite amount of repect.
The second idea is to get a bank job or any other government job that gives you peace of mind. I advice you to surf the UPSC website and find a number of government jobs that you may find interesting.

NOTE- Do not quit your current job untill and unless you are successfully selected for your new job.

Author: Mahesh    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I think you have very unique set of experience. And you can use it to further your place. However you may need to work outside the specific set of skills. Government job in India is possible provided that you are under 27 years of age.

You should not change the job though. You should work for higher increment and get job pay hike. This way you can surely reach the goals in your life like home, car and other things in india. And once you reach the goals, be an entrepreneur in india with some small business.

If this sounds too unreasonable then you should check out some of the government jobs within marine or government position. Each year the employment news brings many such position related news. You definitely need to check that out.