Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Other Jobs »

What are the requirements for becoming a successful commercial pilot?

Date: 19 Mar 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Other Jobs   

I am a graduate and interested in becoming a successful commercial pilot. What is the minimum qualification and other eligibility criteria for the same. What is the average cost of necessary training and what is the average salary of a commercial pilot?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Want to become a commercial pilot? Searching for information about the eligibility, courses, cost and colleges? Here, on this page experts shall provide you guidance.

Author: Adarsh kumar    20 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

You got the right person to answer your question. I am a trainee pilot and intermediate 2nd year student. I started my pilot training after completing 10th class. My father planned that after 12th class I would complete my training and begin my career as a pilot. But the most unfortunate thing is that airlines give more preferance to pilots with degrees compared to pilots without degrees. So I am concentrating on getting into IITs or any other good institute for aeronautical engineering. This will also increase my chances of becoming an astronaut.
I advise you to first get a good job and then think about becoming a pilot as the training cost ranges from 30 lakhs to 90 lakhs. The most important point I want to make is that becoming a pilot does not guarantee you job in airline industry as the airline sector in the world is struggling. In India itself more than 4000 pilots are unemployed. So ponder some more on this and make a decision keeping all financial aspects in mind.
The above recommendation is only for commercial pilot license. You can also become a pilot by cracking the AFCAT exam of the Indian Air Force.
The salary of commercial pilot ranges from 12 lakhs - 30 lakhs for National flying and 12 lakhs - 45 lakhs for International flying. My dad was a fighter pilot in Indian Air Force, he was used to get 14 lakhs per annum along with many benefits and now he is a commercial pilot and earns 26 lakhs per annum.
So make your decision carefully.