Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Teaching Jobs »

What would be my salary being a PhD degree holder in 2017

Date: 19 Mar 2016   Posted By: Paresh Gujarati     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Teaching Jobs   

I am mechanical engineer and currently pursuing my PhD from NIT Surat. What would be my salary as an assistant professor in engineering college after I get my PhD degree in 2017 ? (considering 6th and 7th pay). What it would be for two institution like private or government ?

I have one year experience in Cement Industry as an engineer.
Ten months experience of ad hoc lecturer in government engineering college.
Complete three years experience of lecturer on contract basis in NIT Surat (during my PhD as part time)

Will my above experience be counted when I join as assistant professor in engineering college? I have experience certificate for all the jobs.

Wants to know about the career prospects as an Asst.Professor/faculty after pursuing Ph D and the possible perks by 2017. Here are our experts' views and guidance.

Author: Saji Ganesh    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

This thread is being shifted to Ask Expert section.

Author: Paresh Gujarati    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

Sorry. I do not find my question on ask experts section. You can search. If I am wrong, please give link of the same.

Author: Kailash Kumar    19 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The present salary of an Assistant Professor is determined by pay scale of Rs. 15600-39100 (Pay Band - 3) with academic grade pay of Rs. 6000.
The projected salary of an Assistant Professor as per seventh pay commission is Rs. 46,800 - Rs.1,17,300 with grade pay of Rs. 19,800
However above pay scales applies only after one gets actually selected to the post. The candidates with Ph.D. degree awarded in accordance with the UGC norms 2009 are exempted from the requirement of clearing NET/SLET/SET.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    20 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

The present basic pay of Assistant Professor in Central Govt. academic institution is determined by pay scale of Rs. 15600-39100 (Pay Band - 3) with Grade Pay:Rs. 6000. As per the recommendations of the VIIth CPC, the system of Pay Band and Grade Pay is going to be discontinued and old system of Pay Scale will be in vogue. The entry level basic pay of an Assistant Professor would be around Rs. 67, 700/- (Multiplying factor:2.67). However, please remember that this is only the recommendation of the CPC. Final decision is yet to be taken in this regard.

A PhD degree holder will get exemption of appearing in NET/SLET.