The body uses the nutrients and energy provided by the eaten food to build a healthy baby as well as for keeping the body of the mother healthy and strong. Therefore a right balance of carbohydrate, fat and protein without too many calories is recommended during first trimester of pregnancy. A range of nutrient packed foods can be chosen from the following groups -
1. Three four servings of fruits a day including at least one citrus fruit like orange, grapes etc. One serving equals one medium piece of fruit .
2. Vegetables - Three to five servings a day. A mix of vegetables which are dark green, orange, yellow and red is a good combination.
3. Proteins - Two three servings servings a day. Lean meats, poultry, fish, and eggs prepared with minimal amounts of fat or beans, lentils, split peas, nuts and seeds etc. fit the bill.
4. Dairy products -Three servings a day. To get sufficient calcium, drink milk and eat yogurt and cheese.
5. Whole grains - Three servings a day. Whole grain breads, cereals etc. provide fiber, which is very important during pregnancy.