Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

Need advice for getting a software job

Date: 25 Mar 2016   Posted By: maheshbabu     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

I have completed M.sc chemistry but I don't have interest in Chemistry field. I want to get into software field. Which course should I learn? Also how to get job in software.

2). What is the eligibility of master of science in information technology. My degree is BSc(M.P.C.)- Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Am I eligible or not for doing MSc? Experts:do advice.

Aspiring to become a software engineer? Wondering how to go about it? Check out responses from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    27 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

First thing to do is get some basic programming knowledge. From here you can get idea of where to go for the career. You have career choices in IT such as --

1. Programmer
2. Tester
3. Network admin
4. Tech support
5. Tech voice support
6. Technical architect

These are some of the known positions which you will see in the IT domain. Depending on your interest in one of these you can take the training and work accordingly.

You can get the placement from the coaching institute or simply from the campus of your college.

IT industry is flexible for the fresher jobs. So you can enter using any degree. Depending on your experience or lack of it, the position will be allotted to you. Your BSC degree of any type is valid in IT. You can even go with the commerce and arts degree as well.

I suggest finding startup or the small scale company. Find some work with them. And from here you can take your job to MNC. And this is the place where you can get more financial and work opportunities.

Author: Seema Shah    27 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Instead of getting into core IT, I would suggest that you should utilize your domain knowledge of three years of graduation in IT industry. Also you do not have core programming skills and related computer foundation which four years of CS or IT engineers / graduates go through. It would be interesting and easier to get into lighter domains of IT. Join ERP training like SAP/ Oracle etc. in a functional domain of choice- Sales, Marketing, CRM, SRM, Manufacturing, Production planning, financials and costing, Plan management etc. depending on what interests you. You will be perfect for developing software for chemical/ pharma industries.
All the best!

Author: Kailash Kumar    27 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The author may consider completing Master of Computer Applications (MCA) program offered by IGNOU. The eligibility criteria is a graduation degree of minimum three years duration from a recognized university and mathematics as one of the subjects at 10+2 or graduation level. The objectives of the program is to prepare students for productive careers in software industry. The minimum and maximum duration of the course is three and six years respectively.
In my opinion the author should join a job on the basis of his existing qualification and self finance and self study MCA while working. By taking due interest in the self studies, he is likely to have a bright career in future.