Confusion about choice of higher studies stream

Date: 26 Mar 2016    Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

Presently I am pursuing final year B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering. I got All India Rank 196 in GATE 2016. I want to do M.Tech in VLSI or Micro Electronics in IIT's. After 2 years I may want to do Ph.D. Is this stream good? Which stream should I choose?
Awaiting advice from experts.

Confused about higher studies? Wondering which stream is good in ECE? Check out responses from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    28 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

During the studies of B.Tech. course, the students generally develop interest in a particular field of studies. Continuing further higher studies only in such fields is recommended in which the student has keen interest to learn. Also during higher studies at masters level efforts should be made to publish original research papers in reputed journals which forms good foundation for continuing research at Ph.D. level. The choice of subjects need not be based on the career prospects angle. For serious students of higher studies, career prospects are brighter in all fields of studies provided original research is carried out as evidenced by the publications. Selection of subjects/stream etc. matters only at 10+2 or graduation level.

Author: Mahesh    28 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

VLSI can be very lucrative in terms of PHD as well as in terms of job perspective. Depending on your future path, you have to understand how to make further career changes. I suggest completing the VLSI with IIT and work with company for 2-4 years.

Most of the companies will encourage you to finish the PHD. And also this will help in improving your position in most of the MNC. Because PHD holder working for a company is definitely an advantage for them.

VLSI and the digital signal processing is one of the advanced fields that are going to improve from here onwards. So you are taking the right steps.

I'd suggest you to do either VLSI or DSP for your future career path.