Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Need guidance for my past mistakes

Date: 29 Mar 2016   Posted By: Tahir Shaikh     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

I was good in school but stopped studying when joined college for PUC science. I had a dream of becoming a civil engineer but failed in 12th in 2 subjects. I wrote supplementary exam and failed again. But joined tuitions and finally passed and got a management quota seat in engineering college.
I got an opportunity of network marketing. So I started my journey of engineering and network marketing together. My college was far away, I got tired of travelling but could not stay in the hostel because of financial issues. soon I had problems with my health and failed in 5 subjects in semester 1. Gradually I focused more on work and lapsed in studies and did not appear for semester 2 exams. I could not clear the backlog and had a year drop. Then I got tired of work, had health issues and left the job. Now I am better and want to seriously focus on studies. Can you tell me which of my decisions were wrong and what should I have done?
Awaiting advice.

Having a problem with focusing on studies? Wondering how to resolve these issues? Check out guidance from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There is no gain in brooding over the past. It is sheer wastage of time. Regarding, the mistakes made by the author, nobody else knows better than the author himself. In my opinion, the author should do introspection to honestly evaluate himself, if he will be able to clear his ongoing degree program without wasting time or not. I think, he can provided he take a firm decision and defer all kinds of other than academic activities till the education is completed and a good paying job is secured. The other alternative is to join a job whatever it may be and start earning. He can opt for completing AMIE course which is equivalent to a degree program while working. Other options of distance educations are also available. The basic idea is to be realistic and become self dependent without putting much burden on parents.

Author: Tara    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

This is a common mistake done by the younger generation quite often. Because they neither listen to the guidance given by their elders not in a position to take clear decision by virtue of which, they lose their valuable time which will not come back. At the time of taking decision they should be 100% positive about the decision and scrupulously think about that. Basically selection of courses should not be at their whims and fans but logically basing on their capacity to study the decided subjects and strong will power. At no point of time they should not lose confidence.
Here in this case, the author seems to be in dilemma whether to continue education or not. My sincere suggestion is that, if you have got still age, please concentrate on studies and aim for a good result and in the meantime, just decide whether you are in a position to study the selected course. Consult with seniors and elders and take a positive decision.

Author: Seema Shah    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Here goes my answer:
1. Do not cling to the past. It does not make sense to find which decisions went wrong. Let bygones be bygones. Time cannot be brought back.
2. It is critical to move forward, since Time and Tide wait for no one!
3. Decide what to do now, set well defined goals and prepare an action plan to achieve these goals.
4. Forward plan of action: become serious and focused and complete your unfinished degree if you are financially capable. Else take up a part time job along with studies.
5. Talk to your parents, siblings and close friends and ask for their support to keep self on track. There should be no diversions in you path of achieving your goals.
All the best!

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    01 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Instead of taking the past so seriously, you need to chalk out a realistic programme to compensate the past losses. You may observe the following points to achieve the real goal. Points are listed below-
1) You need to take a firm decision regarding your career and consistency is required in your approach.
2) Don't over burden your self by taking multiple assignments. By doing so, you will feel over stressed.
3) If you want to have an Engineering - degree in Civil - engineering, you can choose AMIE for your continuation of studies. This can be done by taking the papers instalment wise and the same can be persued in your leisure time without having interference of your regular duty.
4) You may take the help of Coaching Institutes for your guidance. In that way, you can clarify your doubts in the Postal - coaching provided by them.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    06 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Hi Tahir,

I empathize with your hard struggles. It is okay to make mistakes and that's how we learn. I will tell you from my own experience that education is the measure of intelligence. But it is required to get into some job where we can demonstrate our natural intelligence. You had your own issues for not completing and there is no need to feel sorry or guilty about anything. In fact I see that you are ready to move forward and make some corrective action. There is no point in regressing with the past and over analyzing what went wrong. What is more important now is to look at present and make best use of it.

I appreciate that you want to focus on studies. My sincere advice to you would be to avoid having too many things on your plate. Just understand that we can chew only whatever we can. Therefore focus on studies with total commitment and complete your education first.

I lost my job in 2009 when satyam scam happened. I was B.E in ECE and worked for IT and kicked out. I neither can go to electronics field nor have any hope in IT. My education was doomed. I sat at home for a year deciding what to do. People cursed me and told am irresponsible. But I could not care. I can only focus on what I really wanted to do with my life. I patiently waited and finally got into MBA program in bangalore. Then life changed.

If you asked me in 2009, I was having only one thing in my mind which is I did whatever best I could do. I kindly advice you to be patient with your reality and take one day at a time. Don't unnecessarily worry about how your future is going to be. It will be whatever it is going to be and cannot be changed. But give your best for today everyday and something life will give you back! All the best.