Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Finance and Banking Jobs »

Suggestion for acceptance of job

Date: 29 Mar 2016   Posted By: CHANDRUKUMAR R     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Finance and Banking Jobs   

I have completed B.Com And MBA in the year 2014 and presently working in a private company as HR Admin, and trying for Govt job.

I have received a letter from Employment Exchange stating that I have been shortlisted for PEON job in a nationalized bank and to come for the document verification.

Should I accept this offer since I have completed MBA? how will this job affect my career?

Experts: do advice.

Wondering whether to take up a peon's job being an MBA? Searching for advice online? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

It is absolutely the individual's choice. I would have perhaps accepted the bank's peon job compared to working in an private company. The education and knowledge once acquired will remain with the individual for life time. While working as a peon in a nationalized work, opportunities as well as motivation for trying for further career progression will be available. Irrespective of the designation of post, the individuals are generally assigned the responsibilities according to their capability. There is job security and better salary also in banking services. One gets an opportunity to work among educated co-workers which enables one to learn more. However, proper attitude will have to be maintained . The individual concerned will have to be in learning mode only till further success.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It entirely depends upon you how you react with the situation especially when you have got an offer of a Peon from a Nationalised - bank. Now there are two aspects to it.
In case,you are satisfied with the present assignment by doing HR - job, where there is utilisation of your qualification of Management degree, you may continue doing the same in order to have the mental - stimulation. A little exposure in the area where you are engaged would pay you rich dividend in the years to come since you would gain various techniques relating to Human - resources Developments and such enrichment of experience would help you reach in the senior positions in other Organisations including the Government - one's. So, to take keen interest in your alloted area is advisable keeping in mind the benifits to be accrued in the long run.
The other option would be the acceptance of the post of Peon of the Nationlised - bank without having any complex in the mind of being an over - qualified person. You would look out the oppurtunities coming in the ways like internal - circulars elevating the post of Executive in the bank. Of course, a firm determination is required to achieve such a goal.
Decide yourself in what manner, you would like to proceed. A clear strategy would help you in selection of a right goal.

Author: Tara    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

This is a typical situation and the way you have received the offer clearly shows the pathetically composed situation regarding our education system. It clearly reflects that there is no comparison for a job and its qualification.
Here the decision making lot depends upon how you are enjoying your present placement as HR. Whether you are satisfied with the job and how is the future there? Basing on this you can come to a conclusion to accept and reject the bank's offer. Don't think that bank job is lucrative. It is not like earlier days. Lot of risk and the working conditions are entirely different. You have to take the decision wisely.

Author: Venkiteswaran.    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I am not able to believe it. Your educational qualifications are over qualification for the post of a messenger(peon) in a nationalised bank.
The possibility is that you have registered with employment exchange, with your lower qualifications and the present profile is not updated with exchange. So you stand to be rejected if they scrutinise your papers.
By any chance even if you are eligible then also my suggestion is not to join. That can create many subtle issues when many people you work with ma be lesser qualified. Try leaving the present job only if you get a better job- with better positon and designation, better salary and amenities.
It is better to gain experience and specialise in the area you now work. That will help you in career elevation.

With the present educational qualifications you are eligible to apply for other higher posts in a nationalised bank. Please refer to IBPS website and be alert for any advertisement from banks for recruitment.

Author: Mahesh    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I think this is very complicated for you when you have multiple opportunities in hand. I suggest you to take the offer that has longer benefits. Be it peon job or any other. See the benefits in 5-10 years span. And from there you can plan ahead. You can do MBA these days using the distance learning mode. And that way you can even ask for the a raise later.

Though peon job isn't bad either. Considering the salary of peon these days is way better. I think it's a tough situation to choose the right job but you have to think long term. HR job is as good as Peon job with new salary from government.

Author: Seema Shah    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I strongly feel that you are over qualified for a peon's job. at workplace, people may start looking down on you.
Start some activities online and also start searching for a good job in the private sector. Join some startup who need lack MBA skills. No doubt the pay will be marginal, but there will be dignity in the job. It is question of time, put in your best efforts to search for a job. Even tutoring is a good option.

@ Mahesh : A correction: The question specifies that the MBA is completed.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    30 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I have read the question and subsequent responses.

To eliminate any scope of confusion, I would like to intimate that there is no concept of 'over-qualification' in Government jobs. If you are preparing for Government jobs, why don't you apply for competitive examinations and clear the written tests and get the jobs? Why are you waiting for calls from Employment Exchange which only fills very very limited number of lowest level jobs.

I have a feeling that you don't have idea how to apply for Government jobs. Please understand the way the Government posts are filled, and apply accordingly. Don't go by Employment Exchange route.