Ask Experts » Finance and Investments » Banking »

What is the charge of duplicate SBI debit card?

Date: 31 Mar 2016   Posted By: Paresh Gujarati     Group: Finance and Investments    Category: Banking   

I have State Bank of India debit card (Maestro). I am using the card since 2007. Currently I am facing a problem with the card. It always says: Please re-insert the card properly. I do not know what is the reason. The card condition is perfectly fine. The magnetic black strip on the reverse side, has some minor defect. Could this be the problem?
Experts: do assist.

What if I want to replace old card with new one with other facility like Visa or RuPay? Does it possible in my case?

Wondering how to get a duplicate debit card? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    01 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As displayed on the corporate website of the State Bank of India the 'Debit Card Replacement Charges' are Rs. 204 including service tax.
It is advisable to contact the bank branch in which the author has his account and discuss the matter with the concerned manager there.
Verified By VISA Service allows the customer to create a password which protects online transactions like in the case when one uses PIN at the ATM.
Maestro Card/Master Card Secure Code lets the card holder shop online securely on merchant websites that subscribe to services of "MasterCard® SecureCode™.

Author: Mahesh    02 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As per the website of bank, the cost of the card is mentioned as 204 Rs with postage and handling additional. So most likely the charges depending on the location will be reflected. The base charge is 204 Rs as specified in the portal.

New cards are chip based so the magnetic strip is limited for functionality. The new card that you can get will have the chip side which is detected by the ATM.

You have an option to ask for duplicate card or issue completely new card with embossed name as per your requirement. Many customers are also designing their own picture printed card. However that feature is for ICICI bank. You may ask for this in SBI too if they offer any such.

Author: Timmappa Kamat    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I have been using the SBI card. As per the information provided in the brochure ( and also on the website), the charges for the duplicate card is Rs. 204. There may be additional charges like the GST and other surcharges.

State Bank of India provides both Visa and Maestro cards. The card issued to me is from Maestro while the one with my friend who has the account with the same branch has a Visa card. I do not think you can specifically ask for a Visa or Maestro card. The card type is decided by the bank. The RuPay card is normally provided to the Jan Dhan Yojna customers.

Author: KRISHNA PRADEEP TALLURI    10 Apr 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Charges for duplicate card is Rs 204 includes service charge. You can ask the type of card you wish visa or maestro.

Author: Ashok Goyal    29 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

One word of caution! Please get you old card surrendered and deleted from your bank account otherwise the bank system will go on levying the annual charges on both the debit card that is the existing and replaced cards.