Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

Want to change from Mechanical field to IT Field

Date: 01 Apr 2016   Posted By: Nitin     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

I am completing Mechanical in 2016. I want to change to IT field because I have interest in web designing. Can I enter in IT field? Will I face problems in future after entering to IT field? Which course should i join to enter Web designing field?
Experts: do advice earnestly.

Interested in changing to IT field from Mechanical? check out advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    01 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

In my opinion, the author should find a job on the basis of his completed engineering degree in mechanical field and thus become self dependent. After joining service, he may complete the MCA course offered by IGNOU in distance learning mode. The eligibility criteria for admission in this course is any bachelor's degree of minimum three year duration from a recognized University. The minimum and maximum duration of the course is 3 years and 6 years respectively.
Good foundation of programming languages is important for success in software industry. Short cut methods are not likely to yield positive results.

Author: yogesh    02 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

If you are very interested and passionate about web designing then first do learn some languages like HTML, CSS, PHP and also Mysql if you are dealing with the databases. but first give a try to learn this and once you find it interesting and worth for your career then only switch your field otherwise be with mechanical only. because IT Industry only needs skilled people. first develop your skills by learning languages related to web development and then go for working in IT Industry.

Languages which helps you as a web developer are:
1. HTML - For data Management
2. CSS - For Styling your data
3. PHP - For Dealing with User Management in Your Website
4. Mysql - For dealing with database of users.
5.Javascript - For Functionality
these are all basic languages.
Try to find good surrounding of learning. Institute like Seed Info are available to train you in the field of IT.
All the best for your Career

Author: Karthikeyan    02 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Please find below are my response to your questions.

Can I enter in IT field?
Yes, obviously you can enter into IT field. As a fresher, you are eligible to attend IT interviews from various companies. Follow the tips mentioned in the article to get placed in IT companies
Will I face problems in future after entering to IT field?
There are thousands of engineers from mechanical background are working in IT industry. It is a myth among non IT students that they will face difficulties in IT companies. Basic computer knowledge is good enough for you to get familiar with the work in IT companies. You need not to worry about your mechanical background. Even companies use to prefer mechanical engineering students as it is easy for them to train them based on their needs. It is always easy for them to fill a empty cup than the cup which is already filled.

Which course should i join to enter Web designing field?
If you very much interested in web designing field then you should choose small IT companies rather than top IT companies. You are not allowed to choose your desired field in top IT companies. Below are some of the courses which will help you to get good job in web designing field.
HTML
CSS
JavaScript
PHP

Author: Mahesh    04 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

These days person graduated in any field can get into IT. You just have to have some necessary primary knowledge of things. For example for back-end jobs you just need to have good communication and in some cases voice. In case of software jobs, you need to have knowledge of basic programming. This should give you entry level jobs. After some experience, you can tackle th e harder jobs.

Depending on your interest you can join any one of the fields such as -

1. Web Designer
2. Web Developer
3. Technical Support Person
4. BPO
5. KPO

These are some of the options that can you get in for the entry level jobs in IT. I suggest starting with the simple job and see where this takes you.

Author: [Anonymous]    04 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You are about to complete your engineering course in a month or so. At this time, it is not advised to switch the field.
I would suggest you to try for a job in your own field. As you have learned your subject, you will enjoying working. There are chances that you may develop interest in your own field.
If that will not happen, you can do part time short term courses for Web designing from institutes like NIIT.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    04 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

If you have a real passion in the IT field, you may attend the interviews organised by the IT companies and there would be a detailed interview consisting of several rounds where the Employer would assess your strength and weakness with a detailed deliberation with you. It is not at all necessary for you to have a degree in Computer field. Recruitment from other streams are also taken up considering the other traits such as individual confidence, an ability to deliver result even in the critical situation, should have excellent command of verbal and spoken English. Farsightedness and Firm - determination are the essential criterias and possession of these attributes would attract an Employer for your ultimate selection in IT companies.
If you have the basic quality to convince your colleagues and Employers in a right spirit, you would not face any inconvenience in this field.
In case, you are interested to learn some modules relating to web- designing, you may pick up any one from these modules - HTML,Java- script,PHP or CSS etc. You should master in any one of these modules and appear for an interview in IT firms. You must indicate your exposure in these fields so that you get a suitable assignment in their firms.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    06 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

My friend you have spent about 4 years to earn that degree. Most companies look for people from their specialized streams. The case of IT is little different. I am one such example. I did ECE and joined IT. There is no problem and you can enter IT.
My suggestion for you is why dont you get into your mechanical engineering jobs and pursue your passion past office hours. May be one day you feel you are really good enough or a specialist then make a move?

Another idea would be to join a mechanical engineering stream where you can integrate both the streams probably if you are creative enough. Personally I would not recommend you to move unless you are extremely passionate about web designing. It is a no return decision so take it wisely.

There are several web designing courses available from IGNOU, Symbiosis, NIIT etc. Please decide before enrolling yourself into a program.