Ask Experts » Government » Panchayat/Municipality/Corporation »

Is it possible to change name in Birth Certificate?

Date: 04 Apr 2016   Posted By: Manoj Kumar Lamba     Group: Government    Category: Panchayat/Municipality/Corporation   

Recently I requested for Birth Certificate from local Municipality for my new born Baby. Now he is 6 months and my wife wants to change his name. Is it possible to change his name in the records? If yes, what is the process?
Awaiting advice from experts.

Wondering how to change name in birth certificate? Find all the essential information you are looking for on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    04 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The normal procedure of change of name is as follows -
1. The local notary should be contacted and a affidavit should be prepared . Reasons for changing the name should also be cited in the affidavit e.g. due to marriage (generally in case of women), numerological or astrological considerations etc.
2. A news item about the change in name should be published preferably in two local dailies and at least 10 copies of the same/cuttings should be kept for use in future.
3. Next and final step is Gazette notification. Visit the Government press or the concerned department which coordinates publications. Obtain and fill two copies of Deed Changing Surname Form and follow further instructions.
After publication of notification in the official Gazette, the name change process completes.

Author: Adarsh kumar    05 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

In your case it is quite easy to change your child's name in the birth certificate. First of all your child is only 6 months old so you will not have to give reasons regarding change in name to the concerned department. What you have to do is to approach the hospital from where you got his birth certificate endorsed and request them to change your child's name.

*You should get this corrected before your child turns one year old otherwise it can lead to complications.

Another alternative is to approach the nearest court and get an affidavit endorsed which states that your child bears both the names.

You can even apply for a fresh certificate as the original birth certificate comes to effect only after the child turns 18 months old.

Author: Madan Lal Mahato    06 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

I am agree with Mr Adarsh Kumar, if you want to change your baby name then you can contact with the hospital directly and told them that there is a wrong name written in the certificate so please modify. By the help of this process you may change the name of your daughter and other process is that you can directly change the name of your baby through court.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.