Ask Experts » Lawyers » Indian Law »

What is the maximum percentage of the seats which can be reserved for admission by the Government?

Date: 04 Apr 2016    Group: Lawyers    Category: Indian Law   

I have heard that according to constitutional provisions, not more than total 50% seats can be reserved for admission by the Government. Is it true? Sometimes it is heard that in certain states more than 50% seats are also reserved under various categories. In case so, then how is it possible?
Experts: do respond.

Searching for information about seats reserved by government? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    05 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

This is a very complex question with different judicial interpretations. As far as I know, various Courts have directed that the reservations can't be beyond 49.5% in aggregate. At the same time, I know that the reservation goes beyond 90% in some North-eastern states. How has it become possible I don't know.

Read related posts: Sea