Ask Experts » Health » Nutrition »

How can I improve concentration and make memory strong?

Date: 07 Apr 2016   Posted By: Anupam Shrivastava     Group: Health    Category: Nutrition   

Hello friends,

I am Anupam Shrivastava. I'm doing MCA from a reputed institute in Bhopal. I need some suggestions from the experts. It's regarding my memory. I am facing some problems for last few months such as forgetting things (it happens sometimes only) and cannot concentrate on one thing at a time. It affecting my studies as well as my mental personality. I always was brilliant student in my school and college but after a gap of one year between my UG and PG I cannot make better focus on my course and my other activities. There are few bad habits in me such as I wake up late, Sometimes I become lazy in doing homework or any work etc. I want to make my concentration and memory stronger. I want to capture everything I learn from my teachers and keep it in my mind forever. I am a person who love to learn new things and make suitable and necessary changes to upgrade it or doing it more efficiently but from last few months I am becoming so lazy and cannot implement my own ideas due to laziness.

I don't want any kind of medicine I want to improve my brain like before naturally. I know it may take sometime but I'm ready. I have planned to do yoga every morning but because of waking up late I couldn't do it. Please guide me how I can improve my concentration and memory.

What changes I should make in myself to get rid of such laziness and issues.

I am hoping for a quick response from the experts.

Thank You

Want to improve your memory and concentration level? Know effective and easy tips from here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The author has the essential prerequisite for succeeding in his mission i.e. he is aware of and is conscientious about his shortcoming and weakness. Only he has to decide that he is not going to waste his time any more in sleeping late etc. and totally shun laziness. It is very easy. Only a firm determination is required. He may decide today and now that since tomorrow he will wake in the morning and practice yoga and meditation besides doing other physical exercises. He should forget about his other so called bad habits and totally focus on serious studies with dogged determination, sincerity and dedication. No medication, nothing else is required. Only a strong will and firm decision is required.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 12  (Rs 12)    Voting Score: 0

Anupam Srivastava, I completely understand your problem. It is quite natural to forget things and lose concentration as we grow with time. There are two dimensions I want to bring here. One is that awareness and the other is solution.

Part I- Awareness:

Let us understand how memory works and how our brain functions in this part. Our brain has three types of memory:

1. The first one is called sensory memory or working memory. Here all the information is stored for a very brief point of time. The information is received through our five senses. The time for which the information lasts in this memory is between 1 to 4 seconds only. Like you observe and take a look at the view and close your eyes. Then the information received through eyes will be registered for 4 seconds maximum.

2. The second memory is called short term memory. Here the storage and retrieval is for few second to couple of minutes. We cannot keep everything here. It can store only up to seven things or items in it. And at its best it can be plus or minus 7 items storage capacity. Even this storage happens because of conscious efforts made by the person. For example, if we listen to a lecture for say about 15 minutes, we cannot retrieve everything word by word. Our brain attends to the key concepts and try to fit it in our existing knowledge base and try to associate what is being taught with the old data stored in the long term memory. When there are more than 7 concepts taught we will forget some of them already.

3. Long term memory is the memory in which the storage and retrieval happens till lifetime. It has unlimited capacity and can store enormous amount of data. But the challenge is how to move the information from sensory or short term memory to long term memory? It is the challenge. If we can move the information to long term memory then it is called a transfer. For transfer to happen, there are few techniques. Repetition is one of the most important tool for transfer. The message has to be repeated and recalled sufficient number of times for transfer to happen. Then another method is practice. Whatever is learnt should be practiced. As one practices the chances for transfer increases exponentially.

Part II- Solution:

In your case, you should not surrender to the feeling that you are growing old that is why I am forgetting. Age is not associated with memory unless you repeat yourself sufficiently that it gets transferred.

Here are few things that you may try to reap maximum benefit:

1. Attention Span: Our human brain has attention span of 7 to 45 minutes. Beyond that it is impossible to focus on a topic. That is why schools give break for every 45 minutes. Understand what is your attention span and give yourself sufficient break to relax

2. Transfer planning: The subject which you are focusing should not exceed 7 concepts in your attention span. Do not plan for many themes at any point of time as it hampers the retention in long term.

3. Repetition: Whatever you have learnt should be summarized and revisited repeatedly as it ensures transfer.

4. Practice: If you can put your learning into practice the chances for you to remember increases many folds.

5. Interest: The interest towards the subject is most important factor as it motivates to be engaged in a subject matter

6. Learning phase of the day: Each learner has his prime time in a day in which the focus and concentration is at peak. Identify you pattern and channelize your efforts during that time.

These are some of the ways you can develop concentration and boost your memory for effective transfer and retention.

Author: yogesh    09 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Its only the practice. For concentration you have to do Practice regularly. For example take some work to deal with in which you think that you are not able to concentrate then try to concentrate on that for some moments than for some minutes than for some hours. It is not a one day or one month process. You have to practice this regularly to improve your concentration.

Mind makes you think and take you for the ride any time and anywhere so only you need is to practice the concentration into your work. It may be mentally painful but it is result oriented.

Author: [Anonymous]    10 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

@Anupam Shrivastava, you have given complete detail about your memory detail plus laziness is one of the main cause. Yes, it has to be one of them, by the way, changing slight schedule follow up could help on this. How, instead of sleeping at late night, you may try to sleep at earlier than current schedule.

For example, if you are sleeping at midnight or after 12pm, you may then try to sleep around 9pm or 10pm max to wake up early in the morning with completing full sleeps without any health issue plus you can get plenty of early morning (which is good for health) and full day time.

Again, you may try to sleep one hour or max hours in the afternoon if you get enough time for it, or else, you can follow the early sleeping at night only. It will be tough for you to follow for some initial days, however, you will realize later that it is better than previous one. Now, you can accomplish your task easily. I tried in this way as well.

How to sleep early if not able to do so? Follow the simple steps given, you have to either walk around 1km (to/fro) half an hour or one hour before sleep, or consume a cup of (water added) milk one hour before sleep to get it done. You may try your own way as well for this, some try to read the books to sleep and some does meditation for it. Choose your suitable way for it.

Author: Adarsh kumar    13 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 0

Seems like hormonal disbalance and academic stress has taken over you. Reducing the amount of stress is definitely gonna boost your memory. I have listed some tips below to improve your memory or revive it to its normal.

1. Do yoga for at least 20 minutes in the morning before breakfast.

2. Do jogging or get indulged in physical activity for minimum 30 minutes everyday without fail.

3. Stop boozing and smoking.

4. Stop eating junk food and instead of that you can drink healthy shakes and custards.

5. Sleep for a minimum of 8 hours at a stretch everyday.

6. Avoid consuming milk in the morning though you can have it in the evening. It is because milk contains casein which makes us drowsy.

7. Eat two boiled eggs every alternate day and also consume more of fish instead of meat.

8. Do not get addicted to coffee as it contains caffeine getting addicted to which may ruin your memory.

9. Learn vedic mathematics and mnemonics to solve and study tasks.

10. Do skipping in your free time as it improves concentration power of your brain.

11. Get engaged in more social activities as research has found that loneliness leads to depression which in turn will affect your memory.

12. Spend time with your parents and share all your feelings with them which may help in draining the stress inside you and help you concentrate on your studies.

13. Give more priority to the subjects only in which you have interest. Once this gets covered automatically your self confidence will increase and you can further concentrate on other subjects.

14. Play brain challenge games to boost your memory. You can checkout lumosity website in order to get some brain boosting games. You can even switch to FPS games for boosting memory.

15. Do not try to be a bookworm and study all time as it will apparently make the brain neurons weaker and shorter resulting to most of your memories becoming short term.

Hope these tips help you.