Ask Experts » Family & Life » Parenting »

How to encourage my kid to speak more in school?

Date: 08 Apr 2016   Posted By: Chitra Rana Raghav     Group: Family & Life    Category: Parenting   

My daughter is just 2 years and nine months old. She started going to school in this week only. I take her to school so every day so that I get a chance to interact with her teacher. Many other children cry when their parents leave them in school but my daughter is always excited to go to school. She is enjoying it every day like watching cartoon movies there, eating lunch. Still she is not interacting with anyone.
Her teacher assume crying is normal but complaining about her less interaction with her and other students.
She is quite active at home, she learns everything quickly, she know rhymes, how to count, recognize all colors etc but yes, she is disciplined at home too. Should I wait for more days? Should I do something like letting her speak something in my presence in class(If this can help her in adding confidence in class). Or anything else you all can suggest. Family is recommending to wait, so do I want but listening same thing about her from last three days out of total five days of her school, making me thinking about this.
Awaiting advice from experts.

Wondering how to encourage the child to interact more in school? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 2

She is likely to start interacting with other children at school in due course of time. The environment at school where many children and teachers etc. are present generally prompts children to learn social skills. The trained teachers at the school also facilitate the process. It is natural for mothers to undergo separation anxieties when the children start going to school first time. In my opinion the author need not do anything extra and leave the child to learn and grow naturally.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

She is just 2 years old child and there is nothing wrong in this. So far she has been at home with family and other kids and now put into a new environment. You are worrying little excessively here as every child has its own phase of getting adjusted to new environment. Teachers may complaint that your child is not interacting but this is quite normal. Don't assume that she lacks confidence and she is not up to the mark, your own fears may start to act on the kid and ruin the life. There are several types of kids for your information. A child can be visual learner, auditory learner or kinesthetic learner. If your child is kinesthetic learner, she may not respond to lectures or questions asked or prove attentive to happenings of class. But when a game or activity is organized she will be the most participative. Teacher may not understand and simple complaint something with best of her observation but as parents you should not take every word of teacher too seriously. Let the child get accustomed to the new environment and give 3 months of time and then only you see how she is doing. Don't have the usual temptation of checking the progress with every couple of days while you take the lunch box for your kid. She is just a small kid. She will be fine.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Your daughter has just started going to school (this week only). Now I want to ask you whether you became very free and frank on the very first day of joining your work-place? If the answer is yes, then it was abnormal! If no, then it was perfectly normal!

Your daughter is just 2 yrs. 9 mths. old and she has just started school. This is a totally new environment for her. Give her at least three months and watch her closely during this period. After three months, get feedback from her class-teacher and other teachers.

I feel you should not force your daughter to speak/interact in class. Give her time to adjust. Her behaviour is perfectly normal.

Author: Sunita    08 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Hi Chitra, both of us are sailing in the same boat. I can very much relate to you.

My daughter is 2 years 10 months and will go to school from this June. She never stayed away from me so to make her a little used to staying away from home and me we decided to put her in a day care which one of the play school runs.
I leave her there for 2 to 3 hours. She started going there this month and now she is fine. I am sure she also doesn't play with children there but she has adjusted well to to the new environment. She doesn't like if someone gets too close to her to play, she is that way.

But only because it is a day care the teachers haven't complained I guess, they just say she has adjusted well and plays. She plays with the toys and has also befriended a 'mausi' there and asks for her if she's not to be seen.

I also would suggest don't take the teacher too seriously. Nowadays the school wants the children to be a 'super kid' from day 1. And we as parents also get stressed by that. With time she will open up.

Author: yogesh    09 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Children generally won't speak too much if they are not familiar with that particular surrounding so better way to encourage them is to encourage your children to speak with the guests coming to your home or your neighbours or your friends etc.

But as the time passes children will automatically learn to speak and able to adopt the situations. Only need is to encourage and motivate them whenever they feel fear to speak.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    11 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Since your daughter is hardly two years and nine months and has just started going to school. So it would take two or three months to be acquainted with the environment and once she is tuned with the existing sting environment of the school, she will start her conversation. Her teacher in the school, too, should be compassionate and co - operative in her learning process. She would encourage your child to mix her with other children of the school. She would recite rhymes which will help her learn new things. Initially, the children watch the environment very closely and come out of fearness with the encouraging support of teachers. Hence your child need some space before she spells out in the school.

Author: Mahesh    12 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I think the best approach here is to stop pushing things to happen. And let the nature go on its own in here. You just have to make sure she doesn't end up as anti social. So make her join other friends in the park. Also go to your relatives and make her mix with them. This way slowly you can encourage child to be more mixing with the school friends.

She's too young to make such conclusions. And social behavior and habits can be changed at any age. So you should have some patience. Also make sure that you're taking some effort along with her. Because kids are going to see their parents and going to act the same way.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    12 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Let her to spend some time in the school and make some friends. Also if she is excited to go to school, then she is more interested in learning new things. So she is watching everything around her in the school and trying to understand things better and closer. Let her to close to her friends and teachers, then she will start understanding and communicating with friends and teachers in the school.

Author: Adarsh kumar    13 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Children are used to interact only with certain people with whom they spend most of the time. Your child has not even turned 3 years and that is why it is not expected from her to have that much interaction. There are also many who can hardly speak at that age. So I think your child is completely normal and in due course of time she will become smart.
I also think that nowadays parents are admitting their children at very young age which is not correct. Till your child turns 4 years old you should take personal care of him. One should not expect the teachers to take best proper care of their children as the teacher has to concentrate on many students and not one single child.
Do not worry about your child's interactions till she turns 4 or 5 years old. Every child can be happy and open in front of her parents but not necessarily in front of others.

Author: Darshan Malwiya    16 Jul 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

hello to encourage your child to speak more in her school the best way to do is to make teachers aware of her habits and her communication habits when she was in the house for past years and so the teachers can push her to speak in the right direction your concern in this regard is very correct as this is the stepping stone to go ahead in coming years but this is the start so to go slow and real slow by holding hand of the teacher and you with your kid slowly and slowly it will be surely on the positive side