Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Finance and Banking Jobs »

Which course is better for me.

Date: 13 Apr 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Finance and Banking Jobs   

I have completed my 12th class from Arts stream. I am confused about my career.
I have selected Diploma in Engineering and Bachelor of Business Administration. Which course is better for me?
Experts: do suggest.

Confused what to study after 12th Arts? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    13 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

After completing 10+2 in arts stream, Bachelor of Business Administration may be a better choice though finally it depends on the aptitude of the student and his/her willingness to do hard work in the chosen field. It may be clearly understood that merely completing any course doesn't give any guarantee of getting employment in future because of cut throat competition in almost all fields. It is therefore imperative that extra hard work should be done to complete the chosen course with outstanding results. It is advisable that the coming few years should be totally devoted to serious studies with total focus and dedication. After completing BBA, an option to complete MBA also in future will be available in case the subjects are well understood at BBA level.

Author: [Anonymous]    13 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The selection of stream is a question to be thought of after 10th. What I mean is, when you opted for Arts stream, you must have decided about what you want to be in future.
Others cannot judge your capabilities and interest. So, it is better you you go with your own mind.
The only thing which I can suggest is- Diploma in Engineering and Bachelor of Business Administration are completely 2 different streams. As you have pursued 12 in arts stream, Engineering will be very strange and may be difficult for you. Where as BBA will be better option for you with good job opportunities in future.

Author: Purna Prasad Sharma    13 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 0

First of all I want to clarify the author one thing that qualification not at all make your career bright, it's just help you to grab the opportunity, your perform says what can you be.Most of the people like to work in the same field as they qualified but remember all qualifications contain same a bit and just need to develop according to your career.

Diploma in engineering is an good option and the scope for engineering student is obviously broad because of growing industries.You can do it in Automobile, Mechanical, Electrical etc and thereafter you can opt for degree programme in the same field, if you want to study further. In case of not interested in further studies then you can engage yourself in job.

On the other hand if you are interested in management course then you can go for Bachelor of Business Management (BBM) but before going please evaluate the college record toward their placement, recognition in the market etc, the better college you opt the better chances in growing your career. BBA is a 3 years course and management involves in different field (Human Resource, Accounts and Finance, International Business etc ). After degree programme you can either opt for Master degree (MBA) or job.

But I suggest you to opt both at the mean time, if you think you are capable. Join Regular Course in Diploma in engineering and at the mean time join BBA through distance education. It's really enhance and add more value to your engineering course which also help you to get better job opportunity.

Hope the information I provided shall help you to guide in selecting your career path.

Author: [Anonymous]    14 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

An arts stream student doing engineering is quite strange. Doing BBA only is better suited for you as per your interest. After this you can try to study MBA which will open the gates for a prosperous future ahead.
You need not stress yourself too much regarding studies but a decent amount of hardwork is required. Concentrating on lectures itself will help you a lot.

There are many others option also available for your stream like preparing for IAS and IPS exams. If you want a decent job then I would recommend you to start preparing for government exams from now itself as I dont think other options may suit you.

Author: Mahesh    14 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Your choice for course selection depends on your plan for the future. For example, you need to choose either engineering or another course, depending where you want to work in the future. So it all depends on those plans. Also you have to look at the comfort level for the skills.

You can't pursue if you are arts student. Because you need Physics, Chemistry and Maths in your 10+2. However you can get into BBA regardless of your stream. Do note that you may have to work harder upto MBA for this. It's going to be a hard work no matter which course and direction you choose.

I think finishing the formal graduation and then going for the IAS would be a good choice. This way career can take better shape as well.

Author: Madan Lal Mahato    14 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

According to your previous studies, you should choose Bachelor of Business administration. Because that previous knowledge can help you for further study in this line. But if you want to choose engineering then you will have to face some problem like you have must knowledge about Mathematics if your math subject is weak. Then you have to face problem and there are many technical subject . So, first think that you are definitely good or not in this section, if you have any hesitation then yoy should choose B. A and don't waste your time. I think you should choose your passion and strength .Because money is in every line. Whatever you think, all is right. According to a quotes of Ratan Tata is "I do not choose right decision , I choose a decision and make it right".

Author: Juana    14 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 10  (Rs 10)    Voting Score: 0

You have provided limited information about your academics. It would have been easier to suggest an appropriate course based on your abilities. However, I rule would definitely out Diploma in Engineering, for the simple reason that any engineering course would require a background in mathematics, physics and chemistry. An institute might give you admission in the course, but you will find it difficult to cope.

You can opt for a number of undergraduate courses, these are 3 year programs. There are a few undergraduate courses that train you for specific jobs. If time is a problem and you want to land a job quickly, then a diploma or certificate course can be considered. The length of diploma and certificate courses range from a few weeks to a year. The good thing is that you learn a skill that can help you get a job soon after the course.

Undergraduate courses – These are B.A or Bachelor of Arts degrees, which you I am certain must know of. You can also study a specialized undergraduate course such as:
• Journalism & Mass Communication
• Psychology
• Archaeology
• Social Work
• Event Management
• Retail Management
• Business Administration
• Business Studies
• Physical Education
• Elementary Education
• Management Science
• Fashion Designing
• Hotel Management
• Travel & Tourism etc

If a three year course does not interest you, then there are other options available to you as well, such as diploma courses in the following fields:
• Animation & Multimedia
• Aviation courses for training as Cabin Crew
• Catering
• Hospitality
• Fine Arts
• Interior Design & Decoration
• Fire fighting (you can join international housekeeping brands like CBRE)

Remember, there are a lot of opportunities available to youth today. Select a course that interests you and join an institute of repute, if you want to further your career. Good luck with what you do.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    15 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

After completion of 10+2 with Arts - stream, there are different avenues which can be thought of. You might have taken Economics, while doing your 10+2. If such were the case, it would be better for you to secure the same as a honours degree. Of course, every college does maintain a cut - off point in selection of honours subject and you have clear the minimum eligibility criteria in order to get admission into the same. You would come across a number of attractive oppurtunities after your graduation. You can also choose Statistics as your Post graduate diploma after your graduation. This subject, too, is in great demand in central Government and Public - undertakings. In case, you take up M.A( Economics), you can go for the Lecturership for the college after taking NET examination.
You may also opt for English for your higher studies since this subject, too, can offer you better prospects such as Receptionists, Teachers in middle and high schools, Librariens etc.
After yor graduation, you can appear in a number of competitive examinations such as Probationary Examinations for Banking Service, BDO, IAS examination etc depending upon your choice.
By doing MBA in finance, you are sure to get a lucrative job.
Before taking up any course, you have to analyse the pros and cons of your choice and also evaluate its demand in the current market scenarios.

Author: Monika Kushwaha    16 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Hello,
Humanities is actually a very nice stream because in any job you will be requiring some basic studies related to arts' subjects.

There are alot of career options in humanities stream. Don't restrict yourself to only two options. I would like to suggest you to expand your boundaries and try something else different from the two choices you offered. The reason being:-
  1. If you wish to pursue diploma in engineering it will be of no use untill and unless you have background with a solid touch of physics and mathematics.

2. Diplomas donot offer value to your studies. They could only provide you with a side by support. For a good future you need to possess degrees.

3. BBA like courses have become very common these days and many of the students are pursuing these type of courses. Thus, competition is increasing in a single field. I would suggest you to go for some unique courses that could give you a better future.

I would like to suggest you some better courses which are in demand these days. A few are:-

1. Hotel management

2. Event management

3. Bachelor in archaeology

4. Bachelor in Geology

5. Animation

These are a few fields which are having unique importance and are in demand these days. If you go for these you will certainly attain a better future.

All the very best for your future.