|Author: sathish chandrasekaran 17 Apr 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
Although there are plenty of theory around avoid cold products during cold and cough, the fact is cold cannot be treated in any case. Whatever you eat with love and peace of mind will become health and however healthy food might it be if you consume with negativity it turns out to be bad for health. My suggestion is don't go just by recommendation of others. If you feel like eating and it will make you feel content then you should eat it. There is really no proven facts on how eating ice creams will aggravate cold. So follow your heart.
|Author: Roohana Mubarak 17 Apr 2016 Member Level: Silver Points : 3 (Rs 3) Voting Score: 0|
It is not about just an eating ice cream can harmful while suffering from cold and cough but the unusual frozen items having beside natural one that creates imbalance or healthy issue. One hand you are taking antibiotic for cold and cough, and the other hand you are consuming cold favoring or enriching items viz. oily, frozen and sweet etc. this is where issue lies.
Plus, these unusual or rare frozen items could enrich the cold effect for the existing one which create more health issue or avoid to cure from present health condition. So, it is better to avoid some items like oily, frozen, sweet etc. upon cold and cough or even during fever to cure earlier than taking extra time for it.
|Author: Ramachandran Pattabiraman 18 Apr 2016 Member Level: Diamond Points : 1 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
I read in one newspaper that after swallowing Ice-creams if one sip two gulps of normal hot water, it would not affect. This is experienced and in one Ice cream shop of coimbatore, they kept a hot water can with a note like that. People are following the same there. Try yourself.
|Author: Mahesh 18 Apr 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
Eating ice cream or anything cold reduces the body temperature. And in case of cold or sickness your body is constantly under temperature change. So using any means to reduce the temperature by using ice cream or anything affects body. For this reason you should avoid eating ice cream.
Doctors also suggest you to avoid eating the ice cream during cold season. The reason is same. The body is forced to reduced the temperature when we consume ice cream. So during summer season it does't affect our body that much.
|Author: Timmappa Kamat 18 Apr 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 4 (Rs 4) Voting Score: 0|
Well, there is no hard and fast rule that goes against or in favour of eating ice cream when you have cold. It does have both positive and negative points and how it affects you depends on the immune system you enjoy.
Points in favour
1. You are not likely to eat the normal food when you are sick. Ice cream on the other hand is easy to eat and it provides the calories which your body needs to combat the sickness. It is quite easy to get the smoother ice cream down your throat than eating anything else. Ice cream can be a good source of getting energy.
2. Ice cream soothes your sore throat. It can act as an anesthetics and provides you a temporary relief from the inflammation in the throat. Avoid ice creams with nuts and added ingredients. Plain Vanilla is best in such cases.
3. It can relieve you of tonsillitis. In fact, it is recommended after tonsils surgery.
1. It may aggravate the swelling in the throat. The sugar content is left behind in the throat and can worsen the swelling. It would be advisable to drink water or do gargling soon after having the ice cream. If you are one of those who frequently has sore throat are advised not to eat ice cream when they have cold.
2. It thickens the phlegm. In the same way as the milk is not recommended when you are suffering from cold, ice cream is also avoided. There is no exact calculation available to arrive at the amount of dairy intake and the phlegm produced, it has been observed to increase the thickness of phlegm and thereby worsens the conditions of your cough.
I would conclude that there is no harm in consuming ice cream in cold. Yes, check your symptoms properly and decide about the ice cream intake.