Ask Experts » Computers » Hardware »

Dell laptop sound driver issue?

Date: 19 Apr 2016    Group: Computers    Category: Hardware   

I have a dell laptop Inspiron 1440 and I don't remember how the drivers got spoilt. Now I have disabled it, uninstalled the software and reinstalled but still the issue persists.
Now, my question is: if my speaker is not working then how can the sound come? I had installed Kaspersky antivirus software and my laptop was on all night. The next day I heard tick, tick , keek, keek sound from my laptop. If I install the drivers from the dell website then it is giving a error message like error 10 problem.
What might be the problem?
Experts: do provide a solution.

Having a sound driver problem in Dell laptop? Searching for a solution? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    25 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

When you don't have the drivers of specific company then the Windows uses generic drivers to communicate. So if your sound drivers are missing then windows will use generic sound drivers. And generic sound drivers don't offer you more control over the device. You can't control much of the device functions without the driver.

Generic drivers also suffer from the device setup issue. So your sound device may have flicker sounds. You have to set that up with genuine drivers. Windows can't use generic drivers to manage those functions. Because generic drivers are written to communicate with any device that follows specific protocol. It can't be used to operate specific function on specific device.

I suggest downloading the genuine driver for your operating system for that device. And then get the settings configured. I am sure you can find that laptop will perform better this way.

Author: Timmappa Kamat    26 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Try the following steps to see if the issue gets resolved -

1. Go to your Device Manager and check for your sound device.

2. Right click on the device and uninstall it.

3. Reboot your laptop.

4. Your laptop should detect the sound device and install the generic drivers as indicated in the above response.

5. Go to Dell support page and download the suitable drivers. Make sure you have selected your device correctly in this step.

It would be advisable to let the Dell support page detect your laptop rather than manually selecting it.

Author: Shagun Mehta    02 May 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Right Click on Computer and click on Manage

Go to Device Manager:

List Appears on right side. Right click and click on Scan for hardware changes

Right Click on Sound Section

and Click on Update Driver....

Author: saikishore Meda    19 Jul 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

If you get difficult to find the correct sound driver for your system configuration there is a software called "driverpack soution" .By that software you can find the suitable driver for your system.

Before that uninstall the present sound driver on your laptop by going to the Device Manager >sound device>uninstall .

Restart your computer and use the Driverpack solution software and it will show the drivers which has to be install on your system choose which driver what you want and install the driver

I hope it will help you.