Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Is a gap in education a barrier for MBA placement

Date: 22 Apr 2016    Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I passed M.Sc(Economics) with 60% in 2015 and now I am 26 years old. I am willing to join any MBA course in 2017 but I have gaps in my education and scores of Secondary-2006 with 65% marks, H.S-2009 with science(58% marks) and graduation - economics(Hons) in 2013 with 57% marks. I have no work experience. I have a total of 3 years gap between secondary and MBA admission. Will I get a chance to be placed through campus placement?
Experts: kindly clarify my doubt.

Worried if a gap in education become a barrier for MBA placement? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    25 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I think that in case the author is able to crack a reputed competitive entrance examination and by scoring top ranks is able to get an offer for a merit seat, then the gap etc. may not matter much. However in case the author is planning to complete MBA through a private college by securing admission through a management quota seat, even then the gap may not matter as such colleges will be primarily interested in getting fee. Alternatively the author may join a job and acquire work experience. Admission in MBA course of IGNOU through distance learning mode may be possible after acquiring three years work experience.

Author: Mahesh    25 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Gap in your career can be an issue if company goes for background check. Most of the companies don't care for the gap. They are going to look for your skills and attitude of solving their issues. If they found you useful then they can ignore all gaps and issues in the resume.

However some of the MNC these days have policy of not hiring if the student has gaps in their resume. They also notify the candidate before screening. So you just have to be careful about this while getting screened.

I suggest focusing on small firm and getting experience. You can wash out past gaps by getting more experience. This way you can reach the position from small company to MNC. This may take some time in corporate process but eventually it does happen.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    27 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It all depends upon the individual performance. Before entering into one of the best Management - institutes like IIM Ahemadabad or IIM Bengaluru with excellent percentile score in CAT, the members on the board of Interview of any fortune Company would not mind the gap which occurred beyond the control of the aspirant such as a prolonged suffering from any health - issues like Liver - disorders or any heart - problem for which the aspirant remained under care of the Heart - surgeon. However, the end result of your effort while studying in the Premiur Institute must reflect your commendable performance.
So, there is no hard and fast rule for the selection of candidates. The employers are on the look out for the best available talents so that the efficiency of the fortune companies can be enhanced at all levels and so human-resources is important. Leave all negativities aside, prepare for CAT test with an intelligent planning and grab a seat in one of the best Institutes. A grand result at the end of the course would compensate all your loss of the past. Be positive at all the costs.

Author: Ankita Sinha    27 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

First and the foremost concern is to get into good mba college. Placement in good company depends upon the college. And if college provides you with abundant campus placement you will surely get one.
Now comming to your year gap concern. Its true you may miss some oppurtunity as company may check your credential on your acdemic ground or year gap. But its not the case with every company. And further you just need to be placed in one company. So relax and simply focus. Work hard to get good college first and then give your best to achieve your carrer goals. If your confident, knowledgeable and with good gpa then definitely you will attract good placement for you. So go ahead and give your best. Sky is your limits when you are determined to work hard.