Commerce after Science. Is it possible? Will it bear good result?

Date: 22 Apr 2016   Posted By: Shreya Mishra     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

Hello.I have recently given my ISC boards with PCM. My father is of the opinion that I should go into banking. Graduation is necessary however. I have also heard that Bsc is hard. Can I do BA or B.Com? I was thinking that doing BA in Economics could be helpful. Or should I go with B.Com? Or should I continue with Bsc only? Kindly guide me with what steps I should take that would do me good. I'm quite good at Maths. Also I was thinking if I could opt for becoming a CA. I'm totally very confused. I would be highly grateful if you would help me.
Thank you.

Confused of further studies after pursuing XII standard in Science. Wants to do Graduation in Commerce or Humanities. Here are few suggestions from our experts.

Author: Jagdish Patro    23 Apr 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

This question is shifted to AE section.

Author: Kailash Kumar    23 Apr 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The author has not revealed anything about marks scored by her at Xth and XIIth standard to know about her performance in science and mathematics subjects.
It may be noted that the next few years are very important from career point of view. The hard work done in coming few years will shape the entire future life. Therefore irrespective of the fact that whether the author is joining B.A. or B.Sc. or B.Com., it is important that full attention should be paid to studies only, leaving aside all other activities including social life. A social life of much higher level will be possible to enjoy after making career.
CA is one of the toughest career choices though can be completed with firm determination and consistent hard work.
The author may visit the websites of the banking services competitive examinations also to know about the nature of examination to be cleared in future.
B.Com. may be a better option in case the author is not feeling comfortable with science subjects.

Author: Purna Prasad Sharma    23 Apr 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Yes of course,if you are thinking to go into the banking sector and simultaneously want to continue your graduation then obviously this isn't a bad option.Moreover you had maths in your inter,so it will hepls you a lot both in economic and bcom.In economic you have to deal with statistic and other theoritical subject,whereas in commerce statistic,maths,accounts,tax and management.It will definetely help to your job profile.
Beside that you may also do Bsc in economic and econometrics without compromising you science stream.
Bsc econometrics mostly deals with economical maths and statistic.There is a vast benefit of doing bsc in econometrics in banking sector because it's makes your job more secured and will equally get chance to work with higher management,so the chances of maximum growth is certain.
Hope the above i stated shall help you.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    23 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Choosing any stream should be your choice and there should not be unduly interference from your parent's side. However, the choice must interest you. A good degree in any stream has its own importance.
Since you are good in Mathematics, even the selection of Commerce stream would not be bad. The other subjects in Commerce are Accountancy, Commercial - mathematics and Taxation. With your renewed interest, you can perform well in this stream.
While choosing for Banking - examination, you must be familiar with the previous pattern of the examination. It comprises General - English, Reasoning and Mathematics. No of questions in Mathematics ranges between 60 and 80 indicating that there should be proper utilisation of time in solving the questions. You must be familiar with short cut methods while dealing with such problems. Here any candidate irrespective of stream can apply for Banking jobs provided Mathematics is one of his/ her subjects.
CA is the toughest Examinatin in the scene that very few aspirants can clear the same. In case you have the dogged determination to persue the same to make a successful career in this field, you should not hesitate.
Choosing of streams is a very vital issue since the entire career depends upon your prudent choice. Changing of the same would spoil your time.

Author: [Anonymous]    23 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

Check yourself once. Are you really interested in Mathematics? Then better to go with BSc or Commerce or else you can choose Arts. See, BSc Mathematics is not so easy as it contains differentiation and its types, methods and integrals and theroms. These are difficult to understand for a normal student. You should work hard. At the same time physics is the toughest subject even you can get good score because of paper pattern. Anyhow, any course you have selected in your undergraduate then the chances are more to get a job with undergraduate degree. Even you can get a job in central Govt. also. If you want to go with banking as directed by your dad it is also very good option for you. In banking exams you have four sections and two times you have to clear the exam that is preliminary and mains like civils. Previously, banking exam was not so much hard but now-a-days it is becoming very tough. However, the selection is depends on your choice what to choose and what to study. You should have management capabilities, analytical skill, and team co-ordination if you choose banking. Don't stop studies with your undergraduate only even if you get job try to do higher education that is post graduation. Once you have completed master's degree then you can do Phd at any time in your life.
If you want to know the various jobs available under central Govt. with under graduate degree then go through the following link.

Author: Archana Kapoor    24 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

If you are good at maths than CA is a good option for you. Do not opt BSc. if you have decided to enter in commerce field, it will give no result. For graduation you have the following good options -
1. Bachelor of business administration (BBA)
2. B.com with computers
3. B.com with taxation
4. Company Secretary (CS), even I am doing this. I am also from science background.
5. Chartered Accountant
6. Cost Accountant (ICWAI)
7. BCA
You can choose any of these fields, all are good. But don't opt BSc. if you want to make career in commerce, this is my personal experience. All the best.

Author: Mahesh    25 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

BSC is not hard at all. However math is going to be there is banking. If you think BSC is hard, you have to understand if you it is maths you are not comfortable with or physics and chemistry. If it is physics and chemistry then going for BCOM sounds good idea. However if it is maths you hate or not comfortable with then going for banking or any math related job may not be a good idea.

I'd suggest completing the graduation in science. As it can still open banking jobs for you in future. You have a chance to apply into banking jobs till your age 27. And banks accept the people from science, commerce and arts too. It just depends on your math background that decides what type of banking job you get. The better option is always to finish the course in science.

You can switch from science to commerce anytime. However you can't switch from commerce to science. So it is always better option to finish the graduation in science. And the pursue to the degree in banking MBA. That is much more suitable path.

Author: smitha    28 Apr 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Dear Shreya,

Whatever career you choose, it is for your whole life. So, your decision should depend on your taste. You should be able to enjoy your work. So if you enjoy mathematics, it will be good in doing Chartered Accountancy. People who are experts in maths can do good in science as well. Still the final decision must be yours. Your should think about the career opportunities. But the priority should be given to your aptitude. Then only you will get satisfaction from your job.