Ask Experts » Career Guidance » IT jobs »

Guidance to change career from mechanical engineering to IT field

Date: 28 Apr 2016   Posted By: Nitin     Group: Career Guidance    Category: IT jobs   

I am pursuing B.Tech in the mechanical field in 2016, but I have interest IT field. I want to join IT companies. I have a doubt about my career. If I join IT field, will I face problems in future due to non-relevancy of my education and job? If I switch to another IT company after some experience in previous IT company, will I face problems while getting selected?

What should I do to enter in IT field? What should I prepare for, to get selected in MNC companies like Infosys, Accenture, Cognizant, TCS and other big MNC companies?

Please guide me as I am in a big confusion in choosing the right career path.

Planning to switch from mechanical engineering to IT field? Let our experts guide you on the right career path to make the switch successfully and ensure a bright career ahead.

Author: Kailash Kumar    01 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

In my opinion the author may consider adopting following course of action -
1. MNC companies like Infosys, Accenture, Cognizant, TCS etc. have their own fully evolved websites and generally a 'careers' section is provided in each of such websites which offer precise information about their norms and procedures of selection. Such companies very strictly follow their norms and procedures in recruitment. Other than what mentioned on their websites, nothing more or nothing less is possible.
2. Regarding entering in smaller companies, stress is given by such companies more on the capability of the employees to deliver results rather than name of the degree etc. However still certain recognised courses are require to be completed even in such cases.
3. The author may contact his existing college and talk about changing the stream from mechanical to IT in case he has joined the course recently only.
4. The author may join any available job and simultaneously complete BCA/MCA courses through online mode.

Author: DEEPANKAR DAS    01 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

1. You should do professional courses in CENTRAL TOOL ROOM & TRAINING CENTRE(CTTC) OR MICRO, SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES(MSME).
2. There are different professional courses like AUTO CAD ,MCAD, MCAM after B.E./B.TECH course.

Author: [Anonymous]    02 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

First of all, the question raised in my mind is: Why did you study mechanical in your BE/B.Tech?
Any one forced you to join in mechanical branch as it is having number of opportunities in future. Or personally you have taken decision? If it your personal interest then it is okay otherwise you may come with the influence of others. If it is your personal interest then….

Why did you want to change your career path?
Don't you like to work with machine which generates heat, nature of work place and all. Or want to work in a place like having computer system/laptop in front of you and with fully equipped materials like AC? Do you like the job where sitting is necessary? Can't you do hard work in a open place wearing cap on the top of your head and guiding the workers and following instructions of your boss etc.?

If you want to change your career path from Mechanical to IT field, you might change in the end of first year engineering degree. Why so late?
In your first year, you have subjects like IT, Introduction to C. Am I right? Have you learned perfectly? Or forgotten? If you have learned perfectly then it is best to you if you change to IT field.

In the final year of your engineering degree, you have the subject like CAD/CAM, Drawing. If you are keen interested to settle in IT field then CAD is the best option for you. In addition to this, you have other software's related to your stream. You will have better opportunities in Arab countries and the companies are recruiting for high salaries.
Seems you have interest to work in MNC companies only. Recruitment process will be very tough. You should have knowledge on basic concepts and for the written test typical questions will be asked. JAM, Interview is very tough as you came from the mechanical branch. Prepare well. Join in the job not for salary or company but to learn the work and then you can move to other companies which you like.
MCA is a three year course and as per my knowledge there are fewer chances to get hire. Even if you go through your MCA(If at all you have chosen) you will get paid with less salary. Instead of opting MCA you can take admission in M.Tech (If you want to do higher education).

The best advice which I can give you is: Advice from career counselor is needed for you. Know the all information about what to do next and then select which one best among those (Actually, which suits you).
All the best!