Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Difficulty in switching from science to commerce

Date: 30 Apr 2016   Posted By: Chhitiz Gupta     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have completed my 12th from Science and want to switch to Commerce for further studies.
What difficulties could I face in this regard?
I am expecting 93-94% in best four and want to pursue further education in Delhi University.
Would I get admission in a good college or not?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Worried about changing from Science to Commerce stream? Find suggestions from experts here, on this page.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    02 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

As far as I think you would not face any difficulty provided you have a real passion for the commerce stream. Mathematics is the fundamental tool of commerce and to have sound clarity in the same would help you in grasping the entire stream. Accountancy, Book - keeping and commercial - arithmetic deal with Mathematical - clarity.
Being a Science - student in the past, you might have conceptual clarity in Mathematics and hence taking up Commerce in the later stage would not impede you in proceeding further in Commerce.
With the present scoring as you have indicated, you may get chance in some good college for your continuance in Commerce.

Author: Mahesh    03 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

If you are getting above 80% then you can easily get admission in science stream. You should focus on science if you are comfortable. The reason being there are more opportunities with science degree than with the commerce. You should definitely take a look at the commerce degree if you don't have much passion left for science.

Maths is pretty much there in both the stream. And the maths in commerce field however is more practical compared to science stream. The lot of maths that you see in science field is research purpose (e.g. curves, integration etc). And the maths from science doesn't appear in commerce stream. Which is good considering you're learning more practical world application for the same.

It is possible to get admission in DU or even any other university with 80% marks in your 10+2.

Author: DEEPANKAR DAS    05 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

1.You have completed +2 science. what are the subjects in +2 science? I think you have math in +2 science.
2. Maths are quite different in commerce than science stream. Commercial math, accountancy is more different than science math which is used in different technical & research purposes.
3. If you have a passion for commerce you can get admission in commerce stream. You can do Bachelor of Business Administration(BBA) course after +2 science.