Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Software job after Mechanical Engineering degree?

Date: 30 Apr 2016   Posted By: Bishwakalyan     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

Hello everyone.
I am in final year of B Tech Mechanical Engineering. I am planning to do a post graduation in aerospace manufacturing from a Central Govt training Institute. Which is 1 year duration. In mean time I got to know about a IT course(about Digital Transformation, Core Java)(3 month duration) in NIIT, which also is a best Institute for providing job in IT sector. The job is with the salary package of 4 lakh onwards yearly. Also I have some interest in IT field but here I got a bit confusion. What to do? Software or Mechanical? Will there be any problem in future if I move to software? Or to stay in connected to Mechanical Engineering.

What to do after pursuing B Tech in Mechanical Engineering? In a dilemma whether to continue in the core field or to shift to Software (IT).Just go through the suggestions of our Experts here.

Author: [Anonymous]    02 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You are interested in Mechanical engineering only then why you are thinking about IT field then? Aerospace manufacturing is a best course and you will find many opportunities in future.
Do you have experience in any computer languages like c, c++, Java, DBMS, Scripting languages etc. Core java is a very difficult one to understand and more practice is necessary for that which is also sometimes called as "Advanced Java".

My best suggestion for you is: Stick to your mechanical engineering branch. Learning software courses and practicing, getting job etc. takes much time for you. Instead of choosing core java, you can learn CAD/CAM courses like which are related to your mechanical stream. I think you know drawing subject well. Try to have in-depth knowledge on basis of drawing subject where it will create more chances to grab job for your future.

Author: Mahesh    04 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

MNCs have no issue with hiring from non CS branches. There are many people from non CS branches are working for MNC on various IT positions such as programmer, tester, manager and voice and technical support jobs.

You have an option to either attend on campus placement or off campus placement. In case of on campus placement, you'd be judged on the basis of 4 year marks in engineering. In case of off campus placement the process is more favored towards the people who pass the entrance tests.

It is not hard to switch from mechanical or any engineering degree to IT. You should just focus on getting yourself through the process.