Ask Experts » Science and Technology » Technology »

Can I use WiFi on my phone without a SIM card?

Date: 03 May 2016    Group: Science and Technology    Category: Technology   

I know that we can connect our phone to a WiFi router without a SIM card. But my problem is different. Recently, I downloaded one Android App. While sending messages, the App always connects to the internet through the SIM card even though I have connected my phone to the internet through a WiFi router. I tried putting the SIM card in offline mode and tried sending a message though the WiFi but it says to turn ON the SIM card. How to connect to WiFi without SIM card and send messages?
Experts: do respond.

Wondering how to use wifi on pone without SIM card? Experts shall provide you feasible solutions on this page.

Author: sailakshmi    04 May 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

yes you can use the wifi without the sim card. some phones might not allow but many phones will allow

Author: Timmappa Kamat    04 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Well, you can connect to WiFi network without the need for a SIM card. The application you mentioned must be configured to send messages via SIM card only. Certain applications do that and you can't use those apps on WiFi.
Please note that some apps will need to send an SMS to verify your number before you can start using the application. Many banking apps follow that route. Once your number is identified, you can continue using the app using WiFi. But, those apps need you to have the SIM card active on your phone so that they can verify that the person accessing the services is a genuine one.
In essence, please note that it is not an issue with your phone, but a requirement from the app concerned.

Author: Mahesh    04 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Some android phones does allow you to use the Wifi feature without having to use SIM. Brands such as Sony however may limit you from using features without SIM.

You can use the android phone for browsing the web and other app specific actions that doesn't require the SIM card.

Whatsapp, telegram and few other apps can be used to send the messages using the Wifi. Do note that if you want to send the messages to phone number then you need SIM.

Iphone does not let you access the Wifi without you adding any SIM into it. So you are pretty much locked with Iphone if you have not added the SIM. If the iphone is jailbreaked then you can use the Wifi without SIM.

Author: [Anonymous]    05 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It is general that most of the Tablet PC (with or without SIM option device), Phablets, iPad and Smartphones etc. can be used WiFi net connectivity without SIM card. I heard very rare case as such where WiFi net connectivity issue arises for those devices that has no SIM with switched on.

Most of the Android phone accepts WiFi connectivity without SIM. I request you to check WiFi setting or general SIM setting option for this.

Author: Balamuralikrishna S    07 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You can use WiFi in your mobile phone or tablet without using a sim card. Using wifi you can connect to internet and use most of the apps installed, Other than the applications which has dependency on your GSM network for sending SMS or receiving OTP.

Irrespective of the mobile phone manufacturer these days most of the android devices have an option to access internet through Wifi eventhough SIM card is absent.

Author: gsadhiks    09 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As you know that wi-fi can be connected to the phone without sim card. First thing through what you want to send messages is it through whatsapp or usual message. For both you need your sim card in online mode. Secondly just check your downloaded app and let me no the details of that app. Because some latest apps need connection always. You can uninstall that app and check whether by sending messages you need net. so that whether the problem was earlier or after installing that app.
If you want to send messages through message box check by disabling the wi-fi mode for few minutes.
Let me know the details of the downloaded app to help you more to come out this problem.

Author: saket kumar    19 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Yes, you can definitely use Wi Fi on your mobile without a sim card.
A Wi Fi device only needs a wireless router with internet connection. Turn on the Wi Fi option on your phone and there, you are all ready to go! :)

Author: Ganesh    20 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Sure, you can definitely use Wi Fi hotspot on your mobile without sim card. Wi Fi device only needs a wireless router with internet connection.But without sim card normal message sending is impossible.
Now a days lots text messaging softwares are available in play-store,like Way2sms
JustSMS
100000+sms
SMS now
2waySMS
Mob2sms. etc
Try to install any of the above mentioned. An internet connection only need to send message.Enjoy the free messaging.