Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Does qualifying in JEE Mains automatically guarantee a seat in NIT?

Date: 04 May 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

I had completed inter mediate in Andhra Pradesh and got 96.6% in public board examination. I had qualified in IIT JEE mains. I belong bc-b caste inn central OBC caste. I qualified with 93 marks in JEE mains. If any one qualified in mains then will they definitely get seat in national institution of technology (NIT)? And according to my marks in mains and in IPE will I get seat in NIT? In which college I will get a seat? I want to get into engineering. I am interested in doing maths. Which branch should I select in engineering to do well?

Want to know if qualifying in JEE Mains automatically guarantees NIT admission? Know the answer to this query from our experts and opt get information on the best branches of engineering for a good future career.

Author: Kailash Kumar    07 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Seats in NITs will be allotted through ' JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority) 2016' process. The author may visit the website https://josaa.nic.in for full details. The author is advised to study the process of allocation of seats in full details to understand the whole process. The computerized seat allocation process takes care of all relevant factors like reservation category, state code and satisfying the performance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination criteria.

Author: Jagdish Patro    09 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You may be allotted a rank among the 1.5 lakhs candidates qualified for the JEE advanced examination. As the ranking would be worked out based on the percentile system of the qualifying examination and the marks obtained in the JEE mains examination, your expected rank can be checked from various websites like Engineering 360 etc and it appears your rank may be around 35000 under general category. Since you belong to OBC, you can try your luck in IIITs. Chances of getting a seat in other NITs in the branches like Metallurgical engineering or Biotech Engineering etc. Just check out the possibilities and chalk out your strategies.

I suggest you to focus first on the Advanced Examination and you are not lost even your score is lesser in Mains. If you fare well in the Advanced examination, you can have a berth in IITs. All the best.

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    08 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

No, qualifying in JEE Mains does not guarantee a seat in NIT (National Institute of Technology). It depends on what rank or how many marks you achieved in JEE Mains. Many students attempt JEE Mains and only some of them qualify. NIT is one of the top institutes which give seats to students based on JEE Mains. So, there will be a particular mark or rank and you should cross that barrier to get a seat in NIT. Without crossing it, you can get a seat in less popular branches but not in popular branches like Computer Science and Engineering etc,. In case you got less marks in JEE Mains, try hard for JEE Advanced so that you can get a seat in the popular institute of India i.e. IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) if you qualify.

Hope this helps.

Read related posts: Sea