Ask Experts » Finance and Investments » Mutual Funds »

Advice on best mutual fund portfolio for SIP investments

Date: 04 May 2016   Posted By: Arvind Kumar S     Group: Finance and Investments    Category: Mutual Funds   

I am 34 years old. I am looking for long term investment and my risk appetite is moderately high. I am already investing in the following funds RS. 2500 each (SIP) - UTI Equity fund, Birla Sunlife front line Equity fund, Reliance Equity opportunity fund, UTI MNC fund and HDFC Balanced fund.

Further, I am planning to start SIP on the following funds- Kotak Asset Allocator Fund - RS. 2500, Goldman Sachs Gold Exchange Traded Scheme - Rs. 2500, ICICI Prudential US Bluechip Equity Fund - RS. 1500, Motilal oswal MOSt shares nasdaq 100 review - RS. 1000 and specifically for children education, HDFC Children gift fund investment - RS. 1500, ICICI Prudential Child Care plan study - RS. 1000. Further, planning to invest Rs. 7500 in some income and debt funds for 3 year needs.

Please advice if the above SIP planning is OK.

Want to know if you have invested correctly in SIP schemes? Get expert advice right here.

Author: Mahesh    08 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Your asset allocation looks good. I just don't know why you are choosing ETF fund and MNC fund in your portfolio. Apart from that everything looks good to me. I'd say go ahead and ask the financial advisory if it needs any revision.

To me Goldman Sachs Gold Exchange Traded Scheme doesn't sound like a good investment. I'd say try some other funds in such case.

If you have locked some financial goals with the set of the mutual funds in your portfolio then go ahead continue them. Make sure every fund you add has some financial goals. Unless you have specific financial goals there is no point in investing into the mutual fund.

Author: Kokil Kumar Sarma    08 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I appreciate you on choosing SIP in Mutual fund as an investment option for a long term prospective. Because people are still going for insurance products for long term investment options which is not a good idea at all to grow your money.

Your current SIPs with UTI Equity fund, Birla Sunlife front line Equity fund, Reliance Equity opportunity fund, UTI MNC fund and HDFC Balanced fund are also good funds. I would like to recommend you not to go with so many funds as it will be difficult to track and monitor your portfolio while going ahead.

The following mentioned funds are good at present and showing a very good track record in term of return.

1. ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Fund (G) for large cap category

2. ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Fund (G) for midcap & diversified category.

3. SBI Blue Chip Fund (G) for large cap category

4. SBI Magnum Midcap Fund (G) for small & midcap category

5. HDFC Mid-Cap Opportunities Fund for midcap category

6. Reliance Small Cap Fund (G) for small & midcap category

7. Axis Long Term Equity Fund (G) for ELSS category

you can review your portfolio time to time and if required you can add the above mentioned funds in your portfolio.

Author: Juana    26 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I must begin by congratulating you on your mixed bag of investments. I particularly like the fact that you have spread out your investments and not put them all in one basket. That is a clever move, one that diminishes risk and improves chances of growth.

Your investments are clearly well structured.

The UTI Equity Fund is among the oldest funds in the market today. It has been consistently providing 12% annualized returns for 5 years on the run. Stick with it.

Birla SL Frontline Equity Fund has a planned strategy of investing in diverse industries and sectors. The Mutual Fund has been an unswerving performer in the last 10 years.
With a steady 16% annualized returns in the last 5 years the HDFC Balanced Fund has proven its self.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    26 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

You have sought the advice of other Members on your MF investments. My comments are as under:-

(a) You have not mentioned your specific target for investment or time-horizon for each target. Investment without time-bound target is like travelling in a rudderless ship.

(b) You have adequately diversified your investment in good quality funds in various categories. Further diversification may cause over-diversification and can create problem to manage so many funds.

(c) However, I would advise you to add a good MIP Fund and another good Income Fund in your present portfolio.. I don't indicate specific fund on principle. You can easily get the lists of good funds in these categories in www.morningstar.in, www.valueresearchonline.com and www.moneycontrol.com. Please check these sites.

(d) Your present funds are really good. Instead of diversifying more, you can increase the amount of SIP in these funds .

Author: Swagatika Pattanaik    01 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As you have mentioned that you are having good risk taking capacity. And you are at age of 34. Already you have taken five mutual funds , among which first four fund is high beta funds as all are equity funds and one balanced fund.
It clearly indicates your some knowledge or good advice from your investment officer ( counselor).
I think instead of going for further mutual fund plans, it would be better increase the funds in the above holding funds.
Just add two more fund if you wish that is HDFC top 200 and Reliance banking funds.
Because having too many mutual funds will create problem to track the NAV and although those are SIP but it would be difficult to remember the payment dates, the maturity dates etc.

Read related posts: Mutual fund