Does distance education have no value?

Date: 07 May 2016   Posted By: Prostuti Hazarika     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I am pursuing my graduation(sociology major) in distance mode.
Is it of no use? Will I not get any job?
I have also planned to appear in UPSC ,IAS exam. Will I be able to appear for this exam?
Else should I again do graduation in regular mode?
Experts: Kindly clarify my confusion.

Confused about the value of distance mode degree? Find response from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    09 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The name of the institution through which the author is pursuing his graduation in the distance learning mode is required to offer any meaningful opinion. Only mentioning distance learning mode is a very vague term. Generally all such institutions have their own website and furnish full information about their recognition/approval status etc. The author may thoroughly study the website of the concerned institution. In case the degree offered is recognised by the UGC, then the author can appear in all competitive examination including those conducted by the UPSC.

Author: Pawan Kumar    09 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Yes, You will be Eligible to get jobs in Government sectors after completing your Graduation from Distance Learning. You only need to follow this educational pattern
of 10+2+3. If you meet this pattern
then there would be no issue in
applying for the government jobs. You can apply for IAS/IPS and any other government job. For IAS/IPS you need to appear in UPSC Civil Service Examinations.
for more details visit - http://www.upsc.gov.in

Author: [Anonymous]    09 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The validity and important of course pursued in distance learning mode depends completely on type of course and your previous qualification.
Your course is completely theoretical and can be done through distance learning mode; hence it does not make any difference.

You will be eligible for all public commission kind of exams.

Author: Mahesh    10 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Distance education degree from university which has AICTE and NAAC rating can be of value. However some of the universities who offer the degree with no proper process and lack of the AICTE or NAAC rating may not be of value.

I suggest you to check out only the reputed companies if you are interested in distance education degree. If possible only do distance education degrees for post graduation. Get the graduation degree from regular course.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    10 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The existing course which you are persuing is to be verified through the NET and trace out is validity in terms of its UGC affiliation. Such affiliation is essential so that you don't face any hardship later on.
Once the status of the course has been examined and such distance mode education has recognition of UGC, there would not be any obstacle in your further proceedings - be it your further education or your willingness to appear in any competitive examination including IAS.
So, without making any delay, go ahead with the verification - process so that you can save your precious time by ensuring that your choice is the legitimate one.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    11 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Prostuti Hazarika , most companies do not value any degree done through correspondence. However, some recognize it as added advantage during appraisal and promotion. If you are looking for a job through distance education degree, then I must say that it is really low probability. I am not sure about the government opportunities though. As times is changing rapidly, these days a regular degree is not rightly conceived to be good enough. I suggest if you are not old and have time then you can really enroll for a regular mode. You will certainly be able to appear for UPSC exam and there is no barring you if you have not crossed the age limit.

Choosing between UPSC and doing a regular mode, I can only assume that you are above average student looking for settling well in life. If UPSC is not your passionate dream and just attempting it on purely chance basis is really meaningless. It requires taxing efforts, perseverance and superior commitment to fly high in UPSC. Without knowing you and your reason for doing UPSC, I am no one to comment. However, I am happy if you focus on regular mode degree which is realistic.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    13 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I am stating it clearly and unequivocally that the distance education courses which are approved by the Distance Education Council (DEC) are fully recognised recognised by the UGC. So, these courses are recognised for employment purpose.

Having said this, I would also like to mention that many organisations offer distance degrees which are not recognised by DEC and UGC. So, before taking admission, the students must check the recognition of the course. Moreover, some private employers have bias against distance courses. But in Govt. employment, these approved distance courses are not discriminated.