Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

Thinking about the various fields that I can do after Engineering in Computer Science

Date: 09 May 2016   Posted By: Chaaru Manjuraj     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

Hello,

I have written my class 12th examination with other entrance exams. I want to join CS engineering. This is because, compare to others (my classmates, juniors, seniors) I have tremendous interest and skill in computer science.

Actually I want to know what the engineers those who are in Google, Microsoft, Apple studied in their UG course. I want to do research in the field of Smartphones, other gadgets (and computers also). So what should I take in my undergraduate level?

My dream is to join the companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple as a researcher and developer. What are the measures that I should take in this level and what should I study. Please help me!

Thank you :)

Are you interested in Computer Science and to join in reputed companies like Google. Know from our experts how to proceed..

Author: Bipin Peter    09 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Hello Chaaru,

As you know that in India, every year lots of engineer graduates are coming out from different institutes and only many of them are not getting job suits for them.I can say the main reason is that they dont have much clarity on which field they have to choose. In your case, you have clear vision on the field which you have to choose in your future and which is a good sign. As your interest is in mobility/Google/MS companies, first upon you have to choose institutes according to that. I feel companies like Google, Micorsoft will do campus recruitment from very highly reputed institutes like IIT.If your ambition in Mobility area(Smart phone, Android/Ios development), you can choose Computer Science or Electronics streams. Also in parallel you can study the new technology changes in Mobility industry since in colleges it will follow the predefined syllabus . As a trend I can see that IT companies are giving more important on Mobility/digital projects.If you have strong base on these areas and you can highlight it on your campus recruitment interviews which will help you to build a strong career.

All the best for your bright future.

Author: sushma    09 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

To get into your dream company and to get into the field of your interest, you can do engineering in computer science or information science. To be a developer, you should be very good at programming. Work hard in 12th, get a good percentage and get into top engineering college. Maintain a very good academics in your B.E to get into top companies as everyone look for an aggregate.
Be very good at programming and never give up hold on programming, know all the bacis.
If you want to develop applications for smartphone, you can take up courses for Android development apart from programming what you studied in college. This will always be an added advantage if you have multiple skills.

Author: Keerthi Vasanth    09 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I appreciate your ambition in getting placed in Google, Microsoft or Apple. You say that you are good in computer and interested in developing.

First of all you need to know that mostly these companies concentrate in hiring candidates from IIT, BITS and other top most colleges. Approximately only 3 to 4 are placed every year. So you need to be very careful on choosing your college and also the course.

Huge competition exists in the IT sector as thousands of candidates are coming out with their degrees not all are placed. They are forced to accept the jobs apart from their interests. You need to prepare for the entrance exams conducted in the top colleges, opt for a course such as computer engineering as you prefer which paves way to get placed in the top companies.

Also as said, program developing skill is essential in bringing out various technologies. So develop your skill to be an outstanding candidate. All the best.

Keerthi Vasanth

Author: [Anonymous]    09 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

You are very much focused and well determined which are the required qualities to be a successful person. You have set vision, so follow the steps and reach the destination.
At this stage, you just need to pursue your degree courses and these courses must be related to digital world or computer. It can be B.Sc., B.tech or even BCA.
See, at the end, you capability will serve you only. So, whichever course you pursue, be honest with your studies. Keep all doubts clear and study hard.
You also need to keep track of improving technologies apart from your syllabus.
During vacations, you should join internships/training to gain practical knowledge of whatever to learn theoretical. This is always advantageous.
When you are in your final year, start keep track of internships/ research vacancies in the companies you want to work. There is nothing bad in joining big companies a s intern.
You will get an opportunity to learn a lot. When you will prove your capabilities, they will definitely hire you.
One very important point to keep in mind- If you are not getting job in your desired company immediately after your studies, please do not leave your hope and join the job which are getting. While working there, keep trying to get job in your dream company.
Gap between studies and job in technical field is always considered as negative aspects, so please take care of this.
All the best!

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    10 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I would appreciate your willingness to join Google, Microsoft or Apple. Such aspiration can be fulfilled by choosing a premiur Coaching - institute from where you are graduating in CS. So your consistent effort and labour would offer you a positive result. A brilliant scoring in the IIT would enable to persue your studies in your chosen branch. To get a seat in a distinguished Institute is not enough. An effort has to be made in your studies so that your end result too is impressive.
The companies for which you have so much likings are really the top fortune companies and as such these organisations have enough expectations from the aspirants.
During the process of Interview, you have to prove your capability before the board of Interview in order to make easy entry.

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    02 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hello Chaaru Manjuraj,
Firstly, your interest in computer science must be highly appreciated. It is a very good field as computers are becoming important in every part of life.

Coming to the point, if you want to join in popular companies like Google, Microsoft etc., you should get your engineering degree in CSE (Computer Science and Engineering) or IT (Information Technology) from popular institutes like IIT (Indian Institute of Technology). In such popular institutes, popular companies conduct campus recruitments. In case you cannot get into such institutes, you can complete your engineering anywhere and write GRE etc,. exams, then do MS and get recruited.

Hope this answer helps.