Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

How can I make the best use of my summer holidays.

Date: 12 May 2016   Posted By: Ravi     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have given 2nd year exams for diploma in civil engineering and now its the time for holidays until the result comes and 3rd year starts. I live in Barabanki city near Lucknow. It is about 4 to 5 months long gap. Now the form for one month summer training has been given from college. So my first question is
What will be the importance of this training and where should I go for it? Will it help me in getting any job?
Which engineering students do AutoCAD? As a civil engineering student should I do it or not? How is this certificate helpful for my future job opportunities, may be as a fresher? Or should I do it now or after 3rd year?
How can I make the best use of these holidays?
Experts: do provide me guidance for my bright future.

Searching for guidance for a bright future? Wondering what to do in the holidays? On this page, experts shall respond to your query.

Author: Kailash Kumar    14 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Since the diploma course is normally of three years duration, one more year of study is still left for completing diploma course. I will therefore not recommend to the author to spend the whole available vacation time in amusement and fun activities. Completing AutoCAD course is relevant for civil engineering students. Also depending upon the present status of achievement, efforts should be invigorated to achieve a place among toppers at least at college level. The subjects prescribed in the third year of the diploma course should be studied at home in advance. Also action should be initiated for searching job etc. Preliminary studies about jobs search etc. should be carried out for use in future. Various jobs portals like ISC should be browsed to have a feel of future prospects. Efforts should be made to get a job immediately after completing diploma course without remaining idle in the intervening period. Also the website of the Institution of Engineers should be studied thoroughly to explore the possibility of completing AMIE while doing a job later.

Author: Mahesh    16 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You have plenty options to make use of summer holidays. Some of the options you have to use for immediate campus placement. And some options can be good for the in future job training.

1. Job training: If you can do the job training during the holiday time then that definitely helps. Also it can be useful for in future job to mention in resume.

2. Internship: This can be useful and may require more time from you. It is different from the job training as it involves company recommendation. This can be handy for both resume and also for the college level project.

3. Small courses: You can do the courses that benefits your campus placements. So these courses end up helping your communication skills and other skills such as debate, group discussion etc.

You can make use of holidays depending on the amount of time you have and the time you can spend. So most likely the best option is focusing on improving skills or getting the job training.