Ask Experts » Computers » Hardware »

What to do when Laptop not getting charged even after plugged in

Date: 15 May 2016    Group: Computers    Category: Hardware   

I am facing problem with my laptop while charging. My Laptop battery is showing 0% and not charging any more after being plugged. Laptop is on when I plug in the charger, and immediately shuts down when I disconnect or remove the charger. Can anyone help me?

Is your laptop not charging? Wondering what to do? Check out solutions from experts on this page.

Author: Bipin Peter    16 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hello,

Let me ask you that, how long time you are using the laptop?.I feel that if it is more than 2+ years, then probably it will be problem with the battery.Your laptop battery may be dead.so when you are connecting directly with charger, the laptop will work work directly with the main power and it is not charging battery if it dead.Try below steps,

1) Remove the battery and clean the battery contacts with a clean cloth and place back.Then try to connect the charger again and check.

2) If above step is not working, then try to get a battery from your friends which have the same model and use in your laptop.If it is working in your laptop, you can ensure that the battery is dead and you have to replace it.

Bipin Peter

Author: Mahesh    16 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There are few of the issues that are likely to be there which you need to check with the hardware technician.

1. Battery malfunction. This results in battery not charging.
2. Battery charger malfunction. In this the battery is less likely to pass the charge to the battery.
3. UPS circuit malfunction. This circuit is responsible for the charge being sent to the circuit. And it leads to the issue.

If it's one of the problem then you have to take this to the hardware technician.

For now you can open the battery and remove it and see if the computer can be on without battery using the charge in. If not then either computer circuit has issue or the charger pin has issue. So you have now isolated the problem.

Author: [Anonymous]    17 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You didn't mention the laptop company here. It might be your battery problem. Previously, for my laptop also the same happened. After some days I replace the battery and working properly now. Laptop batteries could get damaged due to various reasons like power fluctuations when connected with UPS, Malfunctions battery, UPS, Circuit malfunctions etc. Try to not fall down your laptop. There are more chances to get damage in that cases. Seems, the fault is of your battery. So try to replace the battery. Before this give it to servicing center where hardware technician available. Try to buy the laptop accessories through official website (online purchase), for offline purchase you should directly go to the official offices or head-offices. Meanwhile check whether your all devices/drivers are working properly or not.

Author: sathish chandrasekaran    17 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Laptop battery longevity is usually 2 years. Beyond that the battery has to be replaced. As you have not mentioned about how old your laptop is, I assume it is over years for this particular issue. With respect to battery, once it is gone, then it is gone. We have to replace it with a new one.
But you should know few things about how long to charge and discharge your battery. We usually leave it on charge whenever we feel like. We need to put for charging when it is less than 15% charge and should not put it randomly. When it is charged full, we can continue to use in charging mode itself however it should not be more than a hour in charging mode if fully charged. It affects battery life as well. Remember the charging-discharging cycle to enhance battery life.

Author: neelam joshi    17 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Well often we try to find problems with the laptops battery and inside circuitary but sometime problem is very simple sometime it is due to charger or the port used for plugging charger in.
Since I also faced the same problem with my laptop and my brother suggested to check the laptop with any other laptop charger and iwhen I dit it my laptop started vharging

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    23 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

This problem occurred to me once. At that time (about 5 years ago), I don't know much about laptops or their batteries etc,. So I took it to a technician (non-professional). He just replaced the battery and took Rs.300 in addition.

The problem may occur due to three cases. They are:
1) Fault in the Plug Pin (Uncommon)
2) Fault in the Laptop (Very Uncommon)
3) Fault in the Battery (Common)

To check whether it is a fault in the plug pin, just check the plug pin by putting some other plug in it. To check whether it is a fault in the laptop, get a similar battery and place it it in your laptop. If it doesn't work, its a fault in your laptop. But, these two cases are uncommon. On the other hand, if the other battery works, you can be sure that your battery is dead. Then, replace it with a new one.

Now I have another laptop and the same problem occurred after 2.5 years of usage. I just purchased a new battery and replaced it myself. Problem Solved and Money Saved.

Hope this answer helps you to solve your problem.

Krishna Teja Yeluripati