Ask Experts » Home » Cleaning Queries »

How to give my home a face lift?

Date: 18 May 2016   Posted By: Aditya V.     Group: Home    Category: Cleaning Queries   

My home especially my room has started to get clogged with old clothes, crackled books and lot of stuff which takes away a significant room space.

I've also been trying to beautify each room and make it similar to the one shown in movies.
But I've become bogged down with multiple ideas.

So, how should I start about giving a face lift to my house? I would appreciate if someone could walk me through the steps.
By the way, I expect changes which aren't much expensive and can be made by myself.
Can you help me out?

Bored with the look of your home? Want to give a facelift? On this page experts shall provide you advice.

Author: sushma    23 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Getting the room done as exactly shown in movies could be difficult because it is only settings in movies. To make your room look beautiful and cozy
1. You can re-paint your old furnitures in room to make it look new and shiny.
2. Re-organize and arrange the furniture in a different way.
3. Give away all the unwanted clothes and keep only that are needed. Hang the clothes with a hanger in your wardrobe.
4. Include some beautiful, ethnic wall hangings. Also you can make a frame of your favourite photos and and hang them on the wall.
5. Include a carpet on the floor of your room.
6. Change the lightings. If u have a bed side table, you can get a nice bed lamp and place them.
7. Be sure to hang the wall decor which are in contrast with the wall color. Sometimes, if wall hanging and wall color doesn't match then the decor looks shabby.
8. Apart a mild performe in your room so that you feel fresh when ever you enter the room.

Author: Juana    23 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 10  (Rs 10)    Voting Score: 0

The first step is to remove all the clutter. That means donate or throw away things that you don't need. Remove cobwebs, dust settled on fans and all visible areas. Wash the curtains and cushion covers etc, so they regain some of their original beauty. Most of the time a good cleaning and moving of furniture gives the house a fresh look

Low budget house makeover is possible with a little bit of planning and imagination. Here is what you can do-

1. Rearrange the furniture. Move it around so you get optimum floor space
2. Invest in peg tables made of cane (they're inexpensive) and place them strategically around the house – next to the bed, beside the sofa etc.
3. Alternatively, buy some potted plants and leave them in corners around the house. Shop for indoor plants, more specifically tall palms. They can instantly give a rich look to a dull corner
4. Paint the dining chairs in bright colours that make them pop. You can either paint all in a single colour, or give each chair a different colour.
5. Ask your mom for old sarees that she doesn't use. Look for interesting pallus and prints. Cut and convert them into table runners or use them as throws over the sofa or over the pelmet/curtain rods
6. Dig into that box of old photographs and create an interesting collage of family pics and have the local 'framewala' frame them
7. Remember those peg tables I mentioned? You can grace them with framed pics
8. Look around the house for interesting stuff that can be used for display – a brass urli or an old grinding stone. Place a few miniature plants around these. Buy a few terracotta figurines and place them around to create unique décor. Old brass pots work well too
9. Look for craft ideas on the internet that can be incorporated into your home – example make a lantern out of old magazine/newspapers and hang in one corner of the room
10. If you are willing to spend money you can buy a few 'durris' or a carpets to give the floor a new look
11. If you like an ethnic touch you can hang some torans on the doors

Use your imagination and work with things that are easily available. Doing up a home need not always be about spending a lot of money.

Author: Mahesh    23 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

In order to give the face-lift to your home, you should make sure that you are de-cluttering the house first.

1. By de-cluttering I mean keeping only the essentials and getting rid of the other things in the house. This will help you to make the house more clean and use right furniture at the right places.

2. You can make your rooms have different color combination that glows the room when the light comes into it. Most of the time you can use the blue and the yellow shade. It helps when you have such shades it helps in distributing the light.

3. Use limited furniture and get rid of the furniture which is not easy to move. This way you have less clutter in the house.

4. Simple decorations are more attractive. Pay attention to the decorative items that doesn't take much space.

5. Use lanterns and white decorative. They can be really good for decorating the room. Most of the rooms can make use of such simple designs.

6. If your house is big then use dark color curtains inside the rooms. And light color curtains on windows and balcony. Avoid using dark color curtains on places from where you want light.

These are some of the things that you can do to face lift your home. You can check some of the architecture websites to understand the designs which can be good for your home.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    23 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

My simple suggestions in this regard are as under:-

(a) Clear the clutter. Examine all papers, books and periodicals carefully. Discard old and useless ones.
(b) Arrange the books, periodicals and papers properly in place.
(c) Keep your clothes in the wardrobe.
(d) Shift out useless, redundant furnitures from your room. Keep minimum furnitures.
(e) Paint the room with such colour which reflects light more and increase the brightness.
(f) Be systematic. Arrange things systematically.
(g) Clean the room regularly.
(h) The chairs, tables and cot should make you comfortable during study and sleeping.
(i) Don't allow anybody and everybody in your room. Maintain sanctity of your room.