Ask Experts » Computers » Hardware »

How to resolve problem of laptop screen not lighting up

Date: 19 May 2016   Posted By: Aditya V.     Group: Computers    Category: Hardware   

I'm currently using a touchscreen laptop made by Acer. I bought it nearly around 2 years back. I had never faced any major issues with it.

But suddenly, a few days back, the screen didn't light up on switching on the laptop. I've never faced such an issue before.
I also tried checking whether the display function keys had been switched off, they weren't. I tried switching on and off the laptop a couple of times, but all in vain.

On searching the internet, I found a few possible reasons:
1. The inverter which parts the screen lighting has blown out.
2. Total screen damage.

Can any of these be the cause for screen bit lighting up? If so, then what are the possible remedies to this?

Could there be any other possible cause for the problem? Note that I've been recently frequently putting my laptop in sleep mode during night so as to recharge my mobile. Can that affect it in any way?

What would the repair/replacement possibly cost me? Finally, is this a common phenomenon in touchscreen laptops?

Details:
Acer Aspire V5
10 point touchscreen
Nearly two years since purchase (no problems till now)

My nearest computer repair centre couldn't find out the possible reasons. By the way, he mentioned that the display was working when he connected the device to a second screen/projector. He cited they this could be a hardware problem.

Having a serious problem of your laptop display screen not lighting up? Get quick help from tech experts on how to resolve this problem.

Author: Farheen Khan    24 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Your computer repair shop has already ascertained that the problem is in the screen itself and not in the computer as a whole by projecting the display on a second screen. So this means it is a hardware issue.
a) The cable connecting your screen and the unit has broken or become lose.
If it is broken, then it will have to be replaced (not too expensive, within Rs2000)
If it is just loose, then it can be fixed again properly at bare minimum charge.
b) There is a damage in the screen itself
This would require a replacement of the entire display panel, which you should get done only via the official Acer customer care service center.

You can call their toll free customer care number 1800-11-6677 to get step by step guidance to either determine the exact cause yourself or they can provide you information regarding the nearest official service center.

If your laptop is not under warranty, the replacement of a touchscreen can at times cost over Rs10,000. An actual figure can only be given to you by the customer care people. In case you are told that replacement of screen would be required, you can ask them about buying a full cover warranty.
I have done that once, with Dell laptop though. I bought a full cover warranty worth Rs7000 and got repairs done under this warranty on site (at my home) worth almost Rs30,000.