Ask Experts » Education » Exam Questions »

How can I improve my reading speed and retention power.

Date: 20 May 2016   Posted By: Aswini     Group: Education    Category: Exam Questions   

I am a Civil services aspirant. As the career I choose demands reading of more and more books I need to complete reading a book in time and at the same time be able to recollect all that I read while writing essays. I am trying to increase my reading speed so that I can save time. Right now I am studying India 2016. Its too lengthy and reading it is killing my time.It almost killed my one month time but I couldn't recollect the facts like years and other numerical data. Can anybody tell me the ways to increase my reading speed as I am fed up with reading articles on increasing reading speed. Exactly what is the best way to read book so that I can retain the information I read.

A cicil services aspirant wants to increase her reading speed and retention power. Find some tips suggested by our experts here.

Author: neelam joshi    25 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The use of highlighters ,colured pens and post its help in highlighting facts that you need to review again and again.
And you need to be patient first of all for starting preperation for such a preatigious exam of our country, it will take some time to make reading and remembering habbitd.
Also you need to find shortcut tricks for the facts you want to remember creating such shortcuts by making abberevation and remembering these abbrevations like stories not only enhance jelps you in remembering but also enhance your creativity.
Find stories about the things you want to remember.Above all have discussions with those who are in this field or also prepering for this exams as discussions provides a way to gain more knowledge.

Author: Kailash Kumar    25 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I personally don't believe in adopting tricks like speed reading or taking some medicines etc. for increasing memory. Perhaps the author is not able to retain what he/she is reading because of the speed reading technique only. The study has to be carried out at natural pace with due attention and focus. There cannot be accelerated learning and there has to be true passion and devotion for learning.
One of the best way to memorize what is being studied is to simultaneously prepare written notes. The more one will write, the more he/she will retain. Leaving aside all other activities, it is possible to continue studies up to 16 hours a day with intermittent breaks of shorter duration. As the saying goes, there is no short cut to success.
The mantra is to write as much as possible and enjoy the studies from the bottom of the heart. Retention is possible only if the studies are continued naturally without resorting to any artificial means or aid.

Author: Mahesh    25 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

In order to improve your retention and reading power follow the tips explained below.

1. Try to associate things with your existing knowledge. This habit helps you in making connection points which help with retention of the knowledge.

2. Write down your observations of other things. This helps with your photographic memory. Also this improves your retention power.

3. Learn sketching. Sketching requires a lot of memory for the retention and also it makes you focus on the depth. Sketching is the hobby of those who have better memory. So you can have this hobby and with making visual association of things you can also improve the memory.

4. Repetition. You have to repeat the things that you want to retain. That is the secret of the memory. If you don't revise the things then you're not going to have much memory of recalling.

5. Puzzles: Lateral thinking puzzles and the word puzzles make you remember more. That's how most of the people are improving their memory. Most of the puzzles are also good for improving vocabulary and other logical skills.

I think if you are trying one of the five ways above then your memory should start to improve. However your consistency with these decides how much you are going to remember. So you have to take efforts. There is no one day formula to solve this problem. And over a period of time you are going to learn to retain and remember things.

Author: Juana    26 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

If you focus on speed reading you will be unable to grasp and remember stuff. Instead of attempting the difficult, adopt some easy techniques that can be of help. Here is what you can do –

1. Read through small passages/chapters instead of focusing on reading through the text quickly. Take a break and try to recall whatever you have read.

2. Make notes while you are reading. These should be legible bits of information that will help you remember better.
3. Make notes in the margin, for reference later.

4. Recall dates by making a rhyme of the event and the date. Do you realize how you can recall nursery rhymes that you learned decades ago? Apply the same principal when learning.

5. Repetition helps you remember. If you make a song of all that you learn and repeat it, you will be able to learn better.

6. Don't over exert yourself studying. Study with a fresh mind – take regular breaks during study.