Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Will 3 years gap before B.Com create problems

Date: 23 May 2016    Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have passed my I.Com examination with 60% marks in 2012 but due to some reasons I could not take admission in any college. Now I want to take admission in B.Com. Can you suggest some good colleges in Delhi? Will there be any problem with 3 years gap?
Experts: do respond.

Planning to study B.Com? Worried about a gap? Check out this page for resolving your worries.

Author: Kailash Kumar    28 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There may be problem in getting admission in regular B.Com. course in reputed colleges at Delhi, not because of three years gap, but due to high cut off marks required for admission. In my opinion, the student should join a job and pursue B.Com offered by IGNOU though distance learning mode.
The minimum and maximum duration of course is 3 years and 6 years respectively and eligibility criteria completion of 10+2.
Pursuing a job enables the student to earn for paying fees and bear other expenditure for continuing studies. Also by doing a job, experience is accumulated which counts for getting better jobs in future and helps in understanding concepts while studying.
However in case the student is able to get admission in any college, then a regular course can also be opted for. It may however be noted that without putting in adequate hard work and getting outstanding results, nothing worthwhile can be achieved.

Author: Joyshree    28 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I looked for the term I.Com over the internet, but I did not find anything related to education. I presume you want to say intermediate in commerce.
60% are quite good as an aggregate percentage. But if you want to take admission in B.Com honors, the minimum percentage required is 80. Some good colleges raise this bar to 85%.
There are some very good colleges in Delhi. But seldom such colleges allow candidates having 60% to be enrolled in B.Com honors. These colleges that I mention below are really good colleges in Delhi.
1. Shri Ram College of Commerce
2. Hindu College
3. Shaheed Bhagat Singh College
4. Hans Raj College
But all these and many other colleges don't accept B.Com applications if the candidate's aggregate score is less than 85-90%.
Yes, there is a problem in keeping a gap of 3 years. MNCs don't accept freshers for their job vacancies who have a year lag of more than 2 consecutive years. So you will not be able to sit for on campus placement interviews, if you drop 3 consecutive years.
I have the best solution for you. Enroll in B.Com honors course in distance mode. That way you will not have to go through any cutoff criteria or any year lag.