Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Finance and Banking Jobs »

To know about career opportunities in commerce

Date: 23 May 2016   Posted By: vishakha arora     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Finance and Banking Jobs   

I have scored 94.6%(comm) in 12 standard from CBSE board(2015-16)
After my exams I have started working in a company and learning about sharemarket,ITR, tally, accounts. I have completed one and a half month here. I just want to know if I can do B.Com(general) from distance education? Is it valuable? Will I get job in future?
Awaiting suggestions.

Looking out for a career in commerce? On this page, experts shall provide you all the essential information you are looking for.

Author: Kailash Kumar    25 May 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The author may consider pursuing B.Com. course offered by IGNOU. The minimum and maximum duration of the course is 3 years and 6 years respectively. Any student having passed 10+2 examination is eligible for admission. The medium of education is English or Hindi and there is no age restriction.
However, it is important for the author is to continue in his present job. Continuing in job will enable the author to pay fees as well as acquire valuable experience.
Regarding job in future, that will depend more on acquiring experience without leaving the present job compared to completing B.Com. After completing B.Com. without leaving the present job, the author can complete even higher degrees like M.Com. etc. which will increase the chances of getting better paying job in future or promotion in the existing job in case the same is not discontinued.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    26 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

In case, you want to continue the present job and at the same time you are interested to acquire a B.Com degree, IGNOU would be the best option. In that way, using your free time for the preparation of the course after your duty hours would not jeopardise your duty - schedule. Moreover, the course has got recognition from the ministry, HRD. Hence after this degree, you can either go in for higher studies such as M.Com or even can persue for Banking - jobs, taking up further studies for the preparation of IAS or Civil service jobs for the state - government.
The other option would be to think of CA, CFA or company - secretary after obtaining B.Com degree in order to enhance you prospects in future.

Author: Mahesh    26 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You have plenty of opportunities with the commerce. There some of the jobs which can be done with government, MNC and few others depending on the demand. Here are some of the most commons jobs that you can do with the commerce degree.

1. Financial Planning : You can get this degree and then do the job for the financial institutions or banks. You can also start your own venture for this.

2. CA/CS : Though it is harder but with your skills and percentage I don't think it'd be harder for you to have these skills. Another option is also starting your own venture as a CA. Most of the CA choose this option after taking some experience.

These are some of the options. There can be more depending on if you choose to work with banks. In that case you have few more exams to clear and interview process to go through. And you'd be able to have a good career in it.

Author: [Anonymous]    26 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Dear Vishakha,
I would advice you to go for regular studies for B.Com. You have done only 12th and with that, you may get a job but for further progress in professional field, one must have at at least graduation degree in hand.
There are lots of job opportunities for B.Com graduates but most of them will consider a regular degree holder because there is a big difference between regular degree and distance learning degree.
To have all the concepts and basics by heart, a regular degree is helpful.
So, if your family is not facing any kind of financial crisis, I would again suggest to go for regular course.

Lastly, even if your family is facing money problem, you can start tuition to junior students in evening hours for your earning. I guess, after 12th you might not be getting a good amount as salary and now days, tuition classes are also a good source of earning. In this way, you will get chance to revise the things you have studies earlier along with your regular B.Com studies.