Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

Volunteering for rescue operations during Natural disasters

Date: 24 May 2016   Posted By: M.I.     Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

I am a final year BA student and 21 years of age. It has been my intimate desire since a very young age to help the needy, and I have been trying the same, albeit on a very personal scale.

However, the 2015 natural disasters affecting our country has prompted me to try to get more active and get involved directly in the relief and rescue operations, whenever any calamity befalls any Indian city. Notably, I have no prior knowledge or expertise in such activities and it's just plain desire. I believe with my education ending, it is only fair to contribute physical assistance, whenever necessary.

My education is ending by 23rd June, and with the oncoming Monsoon season as well as the ongoing heatwave throughout the country, it is my request to all the respected experts here to please advise me a way to get involved in the field work (rescue and relief in immensely affected areas). I have contacted a few NGOs, but please enlighten me of other options (even if individual).
Thank you.
Mrinal

Final year BA student, desire to help the needy, 2015 natural disasters, involved in the relief and rescue operations, no prior knowledge or expertise, ongoing heatwave throughout the country, options to help the needy people other than NGOs.

Author: Venkiteswaran.    29 May 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I appreciate your noble thinking and aim.

But that apart, disaster management and relief and rescue operations need trained personnel to work under a proper command and guidance. Otherwise it may just add to the crowding and even hamper the actual relief operations.

So if you are really interested in this regard, please take up with National Institute of Disaster Management ,Government of India, who conduct some short term training courses also. The web site address is nidm.gov.in. You can also register with some reputed and established NGO s as a volunteer.

In the meantime you can do volunteer help in local accidents, mishaps etc. You may contact the traffic police, fire and rescue dept or police dept for knowing about these. Any rash action in haphazard way can land you in some unexpected problems sometimes. Hence take the needed sanctions and permissions and proper training which also gives some inbuilt permissions for certain situations.

Sometimes calling for ambulance, taking victims to hospital, arranging vehicles for casualty transfer, alerting and informing authorities regulating traffic at the affected site etc. also are helpful voluntary actions.