Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

Want to resolve Windows 8.1 update issue.

Date: 30 May 2016   Posted By: pallav     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

I can't install latest windows updates. It gets stuck on "getting setup files". After running MS Diagnose, it shows "error code 802460008". I went to services.msc and found "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" has stopped and there is no way I can possibly start it either with "cmd command" or "registry entry". Both are denying the command and entry.
My "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" status is showing "stopping".
And "Start, Stop,Pause,Resume" all those options are disabled.
Experts: kindly assist.

Having a problem with Windows update? Looking out for a possible solution? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    30 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It seems your Windows 8 update service is crashed. And for this reason you have to either fix the updater. Or you can download the offline update packs. Either of this could work. Also using offline updater may fix some of your files and get the online updater to work. Most of the time the crashing of updater files lead to the issue of not updating windows.

WSUS Offline Update can be used to update your system. It downloads the image which can be used on the offline computers. I suggest you to use this option in case if your updater fails. I am assuming failing updater doesn't cause any internet issue for you. So I think it is better to use this updater in such situations.