Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

What is a non-immigrant visa and how does it differ from immigrant visa?

Date: 31 May 2016    Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

Generally we see many reports/news items mentioning immigrant and non-immigrant visa. What is the difference between an immigrant and non-immigrant visa? Also what type of visa is required for students going abroad for studies? Is it possible to study abroad on a tourist visa?
Experts: do respond.

Looking out for information about non immigrant visa? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: sushma    01 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

1. Immigrant visa is given to a person who wishes to settle down in a different country permanently. They may have or may not have the citizenship of the country.
2. Nonimmigrant visa is given to a person who wants a short term or a long term stay in the country but do not want to get a permanent stay in the country.
3. If a student wants to continue his further studies in abroad, he should apply for a student visa.
A student will not be given a permission to study in Abroad if he has a visitor visa. One can study with student visa.

Author: Mahesh    01 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Immigrant visa allows the person to do the following -

1. Study
2. Work
3. Perform financial transactions.
4. Avail local healthcare and other benefits.

In this case the visa allows the person to stay until he or she achieves the citizen status. It takes few months of period to fulfill the citizen status.

For the non immigrant visa the person is not allowed to work and avail the local benefits. He or she can however study and perform business transactions. In case of student visa under this category the person is allowed to stay under specific period with some work restrictions. In case of tourist visa the person is allowed to visit the country for upto 180 days or lower depending on the country.

Author: Waheeda    01 Jun 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Immigrant visa is given to a person who wishes to settle in a particular country permanently. One may or may not have the citizenship of that country.
Non immigrant visa is given to a person who wishes to travel to a country for a specific reason, like work, study, medical treatment, tourism, transit etc. One may stay there for a short period or long, depending upon the purpose of the visit. If one wishes to settle in that country permanently, he can change the status from non immigrant to immigrant. Though for certain rights like voting, citizenship is required.

Tourist visa, student visa etc. all come under the category of non immigrant visa.

If you want to study abroad, you need a student visa.
If u want to study with a tourist visa, it depends upon the country. For eg. it is not allowed in USA. But study is allowed in Australia under visitor visa, but only for a few, three months , and you cannot work under this visa. And under working holiday visa you can study for four months. So it is opted in the case of short period of study, may be, language courses.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.