Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Confusion to go for which type of field

Date: 03 Jun 2016   Posted By: venkatesh     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have completed my BTech Mechanical branch but have no idea about mechanical subjects. I want to learn some courses to earn more money and for a good future. Should I choose information technology field or design field? For studying MS which field should I opt for?
Experts: do advice.

Confused about a good field after mechanical? Check out advice from experts on this page.

Author: Venkiteswaran.    04 Jun 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Your question tells that you are just confused and mixing more things a time.

First be clear in mind what you really want.
You should have by this time known what are the subjects taught for BTech related to machine and mechanics. If your interest is to go for higher studies with specialisation, it will be naturally more easier to take up the same in general Mechanical Post graduation(M Tech) or with specialisation in one or more of the sub subjects under that which you already studied.

You can also take up management courses like MBA etc. which may add value to your B Tech. You can take up some unrelated field also if yo are eligible, but ensure that you can do well in he course.

Learning more may not be a guarantee to 'earn more money'. There are many factors involved in that. Other than windfall like getting a huge price in lottery or some such thing, it is not a one day magic to earn more money by normal legally allowed ways. It needs hard work, quality and persistence. You can even enter into a job straight now and then take up suitable alternatives for career enhancement, career change etc. depending on experience and opportunities.

Author: Kailash Kumar    05 Jun 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

In case the author has no idea about mechanical subjects even after completing B.Tech in mechanical engineering, then perhaps it is better to not to plan about joining higher studies in other fields like information technology or design etc. The life is likely to prove very challenging for the author who has spent full four years in completing B.Tech in mechanical engineering without knowing anything about mechanical subjects. In my opinion the author should find a job and join the same even if the same is low paying and away from the comforts of home. Further studies can be continued while doing the job which has several advantages as it will give practical knowledge and experience which will count in future jobs applications. It will enable the author to pay fees also for further studies.

Author: susmitha    06 Jun 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Don't do something because you want earn lot of money. End of the day it will only stress you and you won't be happy even though you earn lots and lots of money.

Learn something you're interested in.
If you don't know what you're interested in, then try some online courses learn and read books on whatever you feel is interesting.

you have spent four years of your life studying BTech in mechanical branch. I'm sure there must be at least one subject which you found interesting. Go for it learn more. Become strong in basics.

If you want to choose IT (information technology) field then as I told you to enroll in basic courses online. Do it, pick a software work on it. Become skilled.

As you have mentioned in your question you want to go for MS. Go through the university website you want to get admission in.
Do some research online. Refer all the branches.

Have a plan while doing all this. Become strong in basics then only you can find something interesting.

I hope my answer helps you. All the best

Author: Seema Shah    07 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

At the onset, I wonder what you have done in your BTech days! I am surprised and in awe as to how did you clear all the exams.
Nevertheless the best thing to do now is to first clarify what you want to do with life.
Earning money may be a strong desire. But it requires knowledge, skills, expertise, passion and attitude. If you have these in you good. Else start cultivating these.
As per eligibility of Master's courses, you can opt for PG in Mechanical or Production. You are not eligible for PG in IT.
Since your foundation is not clear, it does not make sense getting into MTech Mechanical, since after completion you will at this same stage which you are today.
I feel that you should also rule out Design field. Here some concepts of Mechanical will be needed.
MBA is another option. check out which MBA which specialization interests you: HR, finance, Marketing, Operations.
Since your base is Mechanical I would suggest that you opt for MBA Operations. This field will be relevant to you. some of your four years knowledge will be put to use.
Regarding earning more money, study seriously in PG and prepare for getting a good job.
All the best!
Hope this is useful.