Ask Experts » Education » Study Abroad »

How to select a university for Masters in Finance

Date: 17 Jun 2016   Posted By: S A KRISHNAN     Group: Education    Category: Study Abroad   

My son has recently completed his graduation with specialisation in Financial Markets from Mumbai University securing 75%. I wish to send him abroad for higher studies in the same or related field.
Please clarify the following queries:
Which are the best study abroad destinations for Masters in Finance?
My son has 15 years of formal education. Is he eligible?
If he is eligible can you provide a list of reliable education consultants in Mumbai or Thane?
Many education consultants organise education fairs wherein universities from abroad come to participate. How far are they reliable?
Will it be easy to get a job after completing the course? If not we will be in real soup as we will be spending a fortune as per my financial standard.
Will there be any racial discrimination?

Interested in studying MBA abroad? Searching for information? On this Ask Expert page, you will get all the answers you are looking for.

Author: Seema Shah    19 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

Study abroad is a good choice.
Even though I am an Indian, I am saying this because of quality, curriculum, and holistic development.
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. Which are the best study abroad destinations for Masters in Finance?
Ans: Check QS World ranking 2016 for MBA Finance. you will get to know the top ranked universities across the world. you can select the university based on ranking and check out eligibility of each university.
2. Is he eligible?
Ans: Yes but in a few universities. Since many universities require experience before they admit the candidate. Do check the admission norms per university.
3. If he is eligible can you provide a list of reliable education consultants in Mumbai or Thane?
Ans: I would say that you can browse online and get all the information. Preferred to do some self research. I am saying for a reason. Many education consultant have a tie up and they prefer you to get admitted in those universities. Thus you may miss out some good universities where you could have got admission.
3. How are the education fairs organised by the education consultants?
Ans: Most of these fairs are attended by tier 2 and 3 universities, who do not get enough admissions online. Who will spend money to come to India, to metro cities and stand at the table for admissions? The education consultants have a tie up. Beware.
4. Will it be easy to get a job after completing the course?
Ans: Abroad, it depends on the Work Permit norms at the time of graduation. If you are planning to come back to India and work, you will have to apply on your own. Placements are ensured in Indian colleges, companies coming to campus!
5. If not we will be in real soup as we will be spending a fortune as per my financial standard.
Ans: Totally agreed! It is a fortune of investment, returns are expected, no doubt.
6. Will there be any racial discrimination?
Ans: There is some amount of racial discrimination, but may differ area wise. Check the university and corresponding city.

Since you are interested in study abroad, the following link may be relevant and prove worthwhile to read:
QS World University Rankings for Study Abroad

Author: Kailash Kumar    19 Jun 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I will restrict my opinion to studies in US universities only. Doing MBA in finance is not the only option for pursuing higher studies in the field of finance. Many US universities offer MS programs also in the field of finance. However for MS programs , minimum 16 years of education is required. Also most of the universities require GRE scores for considering admission. Pursuing MBA program is not only very expensive, but requires work experience of 3 to 4 years or more and GMAT scores.
Attending admission fares will provide necessary inputs, in case no fee is required to be paid for participation in the same. One has to be very cautious in depending upon the services offered by the educational consultants particularly in cities like Mumbai. They are totally commercial minded and generally charge a hefty fee without providing best available options. The gullible parents are liable to get cheated by them in case they are not careful enough to do some homework themselves.

Author: S A KRISHNAN    24 Jun 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

Thank you very much for your response.