You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India Educational Consultants

    Am I eligible for teaching in colleges after doing PGDIT?

    Want to shift your career from software industry to teaching? Searching for career guidance online? You can resolve your queries on this Ask Expert page.

    I have done PGDIT after completing B.Tech in Computer Science from a reputed college.I have 4 years of experience in Software industry as a developer. Currently I am working as Senior Software Engineer. I want to shift my career into teaching.

    Can you suggest how to proceed with this career shifting?
    Awaiting advice.
  • #136916
    Teaching position is not restricted to Government colleges only where qualifications like B.Ed or UGC-NET etc. are essential. There are many coaching institutes working in the field of computer related courses. Similarly coaching institutes preparing students for various competitive examinations also require teachers. However in case the author is interested in the teaching positions in Government colleges/universities only, then he should prepare himself for clearing UGC-NET examination. The percentage etc. obtained in degree examinations and the reputation etc. of colleges do matter, but the merely meeting eligibility criteria is not enough. Clearing concerned competitive examinations with high/top scores matters more.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

  • #136920
    As per your qualifications you may note the following points:
    a. BTech will land you a contractual job in engineering college. As per AICTE norms the Assistant Professor eligibility criteria is MTech. So colleges approved by AICTE shall not be able to employ you.
    b. You may check out Deemed universities eligibility criteria for faculty postilion. Some colleges may consider your industry experience and PGDIT degree. Refer websites of Deemed universities for their recruitment norms.
    c. You may check out colleges offering BSc, BCA and their post graduate courses. Most of them need NET/SET cleared score. Some of the colleges may consider if they are private.
    d. I would suggest that you can give GATE exam in Jan/Feb 2017 and then join for MTech. In the second year along with your project work, college will provide you teaching assistantship. After second year, you will get your MTech results. Then you can be employed by any engineering college.
    e. Another option, if you are interested could be to start your own coaching classes. Then qualification is no bar, time is no bar and you can decide how much you want to earn.

    Hope this helps.

    Autograph your work with excellence!

  • #136927
    Yes, you may switch over your job but the following points are to be kept in mind-
    1) In order to retain the job of Lecturership in Engineering college, you have to qualify the GATE test with an excellent percentile so that you may proceed your M.Tech with a reputed Institute. A degree in M. Tech would offer you the permanent chance of Lecturership.
    2) In order to reduce the time - lag, you may join some private Engineering - college on the strength of your aquantance with some college authority. Later you may start preparing for NET after acquiring some teaching experience say after a year in order to secure permanent job in the teaching line.
    3) The other option would be to continue the same profession which you have already chosen and in due course, you would be substantially be benifited for your past experience in terms of perks and emoluments.

  • Sign In to post your comments