Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

What is the job opportunities after BArch if not done from IITs or NITs

Date: 25 Jun 2016   Posted By: Ahmad Azeem     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I am very confused regarding my future. I want to do B.Arch. I am getting admission in Chandigarh University. But some people are saying that This degree is valuable only if it is done from IITs or NITs. While other people say that it depends on your own experience and does not depend on the college.
Can one get a job if the degree is done from any college except IITs and NITs?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Interested in opting for B.Arch? Searching for information about job opportunities after this degrees? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    27 Jun 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

In case the author has passion for study in the field of architecture and willing to give his 100% in studies , then the institution doesn't matter. Since there are full four years to complete B.Arch. course, there is sufficient time to set a target of attaining a position among top five in the college/university. Instead of offering reasons like what are friends are saying, the author should focus on studies. Ambitious architects have higher job prospects in architecture companies provided they are willing to relocate also in case such opportunity arises. Such candidates can find jobs as Architects, Architecture Engineers, Architecture Designer and Interior Designer etc. or can start their own private venture. The key to success is hard work and outstanding academic excellence. Merely passing a degree course is not likely to yield fruitful results.

Author: Seema Shah    27 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Here are my answers to each of your queries:

a. I am very confused regarding my future. I want to do B.Arch. I am getting admission in Chandigarh University. But some people are saying that this degree is valuable only if it is done from IITs or NITs. While other people say that it depends on your own experience and does not depend on the college.
My answer: Go ahead and study B.Arch in Chandigarh. After all everyone cannot get into IITs or NITs, seats are limited.
What information you have is both positive and negative but both is heresay.
I would suggest that you read the website, physically visit the college if possible, check reviews on their facebook pages. Only then you can make an informed choice. This is because: All other colleges apart from IITs and NITs also have a well defined curriculum, faculty, infrastructure, campus life, campus activities, placement cell etc. You can check all this information about Chandigarh University on their website or go and visit the place.

Definitely, because of several reasons:
a. College will have their own placement cell and companies will come for campus placements.
b. There are ample job opportunities in this domain. Since building and structures will always continue to be built.
c. Job opportunities exist in the Public sector in Public works Department, town and Urban Planning, Archaeological Survey of India, Urban Affairs, Housing boards etc. Those in the private sector include job in construction companies or set up your own practice or consultancy.

But a BIG word of CAUTION:
Being in a good college may give you a placement opportunity but you need to be good enough to be selected. Hence it is your own responsibility, drive and motivation to do well in academics, learn the required skills, develop your personality and become a professional. Only the outstanding and good graduates are picked up in the recruitment drive. If you are good, you will get the job. So spend the five years in developing your own academic skills, and professional personality and be ready to embark on a journey in the architectural domain.

College provides an environment conducive to learning and growth. But it is your choice to make the best use of it or not!
If your have the inclination to do well, no one can stop you from reaching greater heights in your studies.

Hope this answers your question.

Author: KVRR    27 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I hope you appeared for the National Aptitude Test in Architecture and qualified in the examination. For admission into B.Arch course, Clearing NATA is important. There may be some colleges which give admission without NATA but they have other conditions to be fulfilled. The Council of Architecture prescribed NATA as a compulsory criterion. For admission into B.Arch in Chandigarh University NATA is not compulsory.

The B.Arch course is of five years duration.

Architecture is a branch of Engineering which requires creativity. From whichever institute you do your course in Architecture, if you have the creativity you are bound to succeed in the field.

The jobs do not offer much as salary. A practicing Architect can earn good amount of money and earn fame in the society.