Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Which is important for becoming graduate

Date: 01 Jul 2016   Posted By: Manpreet Kaur     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have done 1 year Computer Diploma from ITI. Now I am going to take direct admission in Polytechnic college in Computer Engineering 2nd yr diploma course.
After doing this course will I be called a graduate or not? Is that called BE? If I have to become graduate then in which year of B.Tech can I get admission?
I am also interested to give IAS exams in future. Is that possible with Computer engineering diploma or do I have to do B.Tech?
Awaiting advice.

Interested in doing a BTech? Wondering if diploma course pass out is called a graduate? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    02 Jul 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Completing a diploma course from a polytechnic is not equivalent to a degree course in engineering.
B.Tech. and B.E. courses are engineering degree courses which are equivalent.
After completing, diploma course, the author will become eligible for admission in the second year of an engineering degree course like B.E. or B.Tech. subject to clearing competitive examination for the same, if any.
For appearing in civil services examination conducted by the UPSC for recruitment to IAS and other posts, a minimum graduation degree is required. The diploma holders are not eligible to apply in the civil services examination.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    02 Jul 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I am trying to give point-wise replies to your queries:-

(a) Diploma in Engineering from a Polytechnic college is NOT equivalent to Graduation.
(b) For Graduation, you have to successfully complete B.A/B.Sc./B.Com. In the field of Engineering, B.E. or B.Tech. is considered Graduation.
(c) The minimum qualification to appear in the Indian Civil Services Examination is Graduation in any stream. So, you have to obtain B.a./B.Sc./B.com./B.E//B.Tech to appear in the Indian Civil Services Examination.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    04 Jul 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Passing a diploma course, does not make you equivalent to a graduate.
In order to be a graduate, you have to complete the three year degree course in any one of the streams of B.A, B.Sc, B.Com and in case of Engineering, you have to pass out the four year degree course and ultimately you will be assigned to either BE or B.Tech upon completion of the degree.
In order to appear for the IAS examination, you need to pass any graduation degree. B.Tech, too, is considered as technical graduation and by possessing the same, you are eligible to appear for the IAS examination.