Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

How is the future in Merchant Navy?

Date: 02 Jul 2016   Posted By: Darshan Malwiya     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I got 60% in 12th with PCM. My age is 18. Are there any age limitations for admissions? Should I choose Merchant Navy as my career? Also recommend some names of best colleges for studying Merchant Navy in Mumbai and Gujarat? Can you also provide the names, duration and fees of courses for Merchant Navy?

Aspiring to get into Merchant Navy? Wondering what courses and colleges to apply in? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    02 Jul 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The top institutes for completing B.Sc. Nautical Science degree is TS Chanakya, Mumbai and for completing the four year Marine Engineering degree course is Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI) at Calcutta and Mumbai. Admission in TS Chanakya in made through JEE and in MERI through CET conducted by Indian Maritime University.
The minimum eligibility criteria is 10+2 with physics, chemistry and mathematics. However the candidates are required to clear medical fitness test for sea service under standard norms and with eyesight 6/6 without colour blindness.
There are many private maritime colleges also e.g. Tolani Maritime Institute, Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, AMET University, Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa and Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training to name a few. All institutes have their own websites, which may be referred for further details.